Let G be a group and H a subgroup. Prove if [G:H]=2, then H is normal.

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if the index of H in G is equal to 2, then H is a normal subgroup of G. The key points mentioned are that the index of H in G means there are only two left and right cosets of H, and that G\H represents the set-theoretic difference between G and H. This information helps in understanding the proof.
mathmajor2013
Let G be a group and H be a subgroup of G. Prove that if [G:H]=2, then H is a normal subgroup of G.

Physics news on Phys.org
The same as in my other reply:

1) this should belong in the homework forums
2) what did you try?

I'm lost on this one. It doesn't make sense how the number of left cosets corresponds to the normality. #gH=#Hg doesn't seem like it necessarily means that gH=Hg.

That [G:H]=2 means that there are only two left cosets of H. Also, it means that there are only two right cosets of H: H and G\H.

Thus gH is H or G\H, and for Hg thesame thing. Does this help you?

I thought that G/H was the set of left or right cosets, not a coset itself? But yes that does help, thank you!

No, I mean G\H, not G/H. With G\H, I mean the set-theoretic difference, i.e. everything in G which is not in H.

Oh I see. Yes! Thank you.

(Thread moved and OP pinged)

1. What does [G:H]=2 mean in the context of a group and subgroup?

In group theory, [G:H] represents the index of a subgroup H in a group G. It is the number of cosets of H in G. When [G:H]=2, it means that there are only two distinct cosets of H in G.

2. Can you explain the concept of a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup that is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. This means that for any element g in the group G and any element h in the subgroup H, the element ghg-1 is also in H. In other words, the left and right cosets of a normal subgroup are equal.

3. How does the proof of [G:H]=2 imply that H is normal?

Since [G:H]=2, there are only two distinct cosets of H in G. This means that the left and right cosets are equal, and therefore, H is invariant under conjugation by elements of G. Therefore, H is a normal subgroup.

4. Is [G:H]=2 a sufficient condition for H to be normal in G?

Yes, if [G:H]=2, then H is guaranteed to be a normal subgroup. However, it is not a necessary condition. There are cases where a subgroup may be normal even if [G:H] is not equal to 2.

5. Can you provide an example of a group and subgroup where [G:H]=2 and H is not normal?

Yes, consider the group G = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} under addition modulo 6. Let H = {1, 3}. The index of H in G is [G:H]=2, but H is not normal in G since 2H = {2, 4} and 2H ≠ H2 = {3, 5}.