What book should I get about algebra for physics?

In summary, Josh Smucker's book recommended by Micromass is a great book for self-study. It has good examples and explanations of the concepts in linear algebra.
Tosh5457
Hi, I study Physics, and where I study we only have 1 semester of linear algebra & geometry. I don't know the importance of knowing more algebra than this on physics, but I think 1 semester is not enough (specially when we barely had time to study everything).

So what book do you recommend for self-study?

Physics news on Phys.org
A wonderful book is joshua.smcvt.edu/linearalgebra/book.pdf
Doesn't only contain a lot of theory, but also examples, motivations and applications. If you know this book, then you could say that you know a lot of linear algebra!

Based on what you've said I would offer to suggestions:

1) Artin, Algebra - a thorough undergraduate algebra text covering topics in a way that may be appealing to physics students. There's an online video of one semester of algebra at MIT taught by Gross and using Artin as the text.

2) Stillwell, Naive Lie Theory - as he says in the preface "The really perfect sequel to calculus and linear algebra, however, would be a blend of the two -- a subject in which calculus throws light on linear algebra and vice versa. This perfect blend is Lie theory.", which is of considerable relevance in physics.

I second micromass's recommendation of Hefferon's linear algebra book.

Coxeter's Introduction to Geometry is a wonderful book (and don't be misled by the title -- it's an upper-division book for math majors).

xristy said:
Artin, Algebra - a thorough undergraduate algebra text covering topics in a way that may be appealing to physics students. There's an online video of one semester of algebra at MIT taught by Gross and using Artin as the text.
Actually it is Harvard:

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/openlearning/math222/

It is good, but moves pretty quick. If you want something that moves a little slower, try the lectures by Gene Abrams (Fall 2007) from UCCS:

http://www.uccs.edu/~math/vidarchive.html

However, this has less focus on Matrix groups than the Artin/Gross book/course mentioned above.

You may want to be more explicit about your background and interests so that people can give you better recommendations.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I liked the book micromass suggested very much. It explains the purpose of linear algebra's concepts and it has good examples, nice book :smile:

1. What is the best book for learning algebra for physics?

There are many great books available for learning algebra specifically for physics. Some of the most highly recommended options include "Algebra for Physics" by James Nearing, "Algebra and Trigonometry for College Students" by Dennis G. Zill and Jacqueline M. Dewar, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Raymond A. Serway and John W. Jewett.

2. Is it necessary to get a separate book for algebra when studying physics?

While some physics textbooks may cover algebraic concepts, it can be beneficial to have a separate book specifically focused on algebra for a deeper understanding of the subject. It can also serve as a helpful reference for future physics courses.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers both algebra and physics?

Yes, there are several books available that cover both algebra and physics. Some popular options include "Algebra for Physics" by James Nearing, "Algebra and Trigonometry for College Students" by Dennis G. Zill and Jacqueline M. Dewar, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Raymond A. Serway and John W. Jewett.

4. Are there any online resources for learning algebra for physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning algebra for physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and OpenStax. Additionally, many universities offer free online courses or lectures on algebra for physics.

5. How do I determine which algebra book is right for me?

The best way to determine which algebra book is right for you is to read reviews, compare the content of different books, and consider your own learning style. It may also be helpful to consult with a physics teacher or tutor for recommendations.