Grad textbook on abstract algebra

In summary, the conversation is about finding the best abstract algebra book for graduate students. Recommendations for comprehensive books at a similar level to Hungerford's Algebra are given, including Carstensen's Abstract Algebra and Lang's Algebra. Other suggestions such as Eisenbud's "Commutative algebra with a view on algebraic geometry" and books by Bourbaki, Rotman, Isaacs, and Jacobson are also mentioned. The conversation also mentions free algebra notes available on certain websites and asks for feedback on a specific book.
ForMyThunder
What is the absolute best abstract algebra book for graduate students? I was wanting a book that covers algebra in the most comprehensive manner possible, at about the level of Hungerford's Algebra. I was wondering if Carstensen's Abstract Algebra in the Sigma Series in Pure Mathematics is a good text. Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ForMyThunder! :smile:

Which kind of algebra are you interested in? There are a lot of branches out there!

I've always found "Commutative algebra with a view on algebraic geometry" by Eisenbud wonderful. But that focusses on commutative algebra.

Another great book is the algebra books by Bourbaki, but Bourbaki's style is often criticized...

I like Rotman, Advanced Modern Algebra (2nd edition), and Isaacs, Algebra: A Graduate Course.

the modern standards are artin, dummit and foote, hungerford, lang. a little older but excellent are: jacobson, van der waerden, and sah.

i have free algebra notes on my web page for math courses 843-4-5, and 8000[6].

see my profile for address. many other people have possibly better and certainly nicer looking ones on their sites. james milne's site is a treasure trove of wonderfully well written and excellent books and notes.

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields, without focusing on specific numbers or operations. It deals with the study of mathematical objects and their properties rather than particular numerical calculations.

Why is abstract algebra important?

Abstract algebra plays a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory, geometry, and topology. It also has numerous applications in other fields, including computer science, physics, and cryptography. Studying abstract algebra can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in various careers.

What topics are typically covered in a graduate-level abstract algebra textbook?

A graduate-level abstract algebra textbook typically covers topics such as group theory, ring theory, field theory, Galois theory, and module theory. It may also include more advanced topics such as homological algebra, representation theory, and category theory.

What are some recommended prerequisites for studying abstract algebra at a graduate level?

A strong foundation in undergraduate-level mathematics is essential for studying abstract algebra at a graduate level. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of linear algebra, number theory, and basic proof techniques. Some knowledge of advanced calculus and basic abstract algebra topics such as groups, rings, and fields is also helpful.

What are some resources for further learning and practice in abstract algebra?

There are many resources available for further learning and practice in abstract algebra, such as online courses, textbooks, and problem sets. Some popular textbooks include "Abstract Algebra" by Dummit and Foote, "Algebra" by Hungerford, and "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Pinter. Additionally, many universities offer graduate-level courses in abstract algebra, and attending lectures and participating in class discussions can also be beneficial for further learning and practice.