Interpreting magnetic compass pitch and roll

In summary, the TCM2 compass module provides pitch and roll measurements. It uses a tilt sensor to determine its orientation with respect to gravity, and can use this data to calculate its orientation with respect to the level Earth coordinate system.
BobbyBear
Hello all,

I have a PNI TCM2 electronic compass module, which has a 3-axis magnetometer and a 2-axis tiltmeter (manual: http://www.mil.ufl.edu/projects/gnuman/spec_sheets/tcm2_man.pdf" ), and provides heading with tilt compensation.

The module also provides "pitch" and "roll" measurements. What I can't figure out is exactly what it is reporting as pitch and roll. The manual gives the following information (section 3.11 of the manual):

"The TCM2 uses a fluid-filled tilt sensor to measure the orientation of the compass with
respect to gravity. Since the compass also measures the complete magnetic field, the
TCM2 can correct for the tilt of the compass to provide an accurate heading.

You can use the tilt data output by the TCM2 to calculate the orientation of the TCM2 with
respect to the level Earth coordinate frame. Define a vector G that is perpendicular to the
compass board (and therefore is parallel to the z-axis of the compass.) The coordinates
of G = (X, Y, Z) in the level Earth frame will be

Z = (SQRT(1 + tan(P)2 + tan(R)2))-1
X = Z tan(P)
Y = Z tan(R)

where P and R are the pitch and roll reported by the TCM2.​

I don't understand where these equations come from - are they simplified equations? And anyway, how do you determine the orientation/attitude of the compass module.. and which is the (X,Y,Z) system (presumably X and Y axes form a horizontal plane as its the level Earth system, but is x the horizontal projection of X? Are P and R ("pitch" and "roll" values given by the compass module) the angles of the module's x and y axes w.r.t the horizontal plane (the x and y axes being the local axes of the compass that coincide with X and Y when the compass is horizontal) ? But wouldn't the tilt sensor measure, for example, the angle between the x-axis and the horizontal line contained in the xz plane (which is not the same as the angle between the x-axis and the horizontal plane)?

If anyone has any idea on what P and R are please help, I've never used a compass before so maybe I'm missing something evident.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
-Lay the module flat
-Choose your X and Y axes, (Roll and Pitch respectively) The orientation of the module doesn't matter, as long as you choose one as x and the other as Y
-Z will obviously be heading

The equations you have are a basic matrix transformation. To prove this to yourself set up a three axis system, place an arbitrary vector and derive its X,Y and Z components.

Thanks vioscousflow for your reply!

viscousflow said:
The equations you have are a basic matrix transformation. To prove this to yourself set up a three axis system, place an arbitrary vector and derive its X,Y and Z components.

In an X,Y,Z system, an arbitrary vector would have components: X=Z tan(a)sin(b), Y= Z tan(a)cos(b), Z = SQURT(X^2+Y^2)tan(a), where a is the angle between the vector and its horizontal projection, and b is the angle between the horizontal projection and the X axis.

I don't see what this has to do ... the equations they are giving are the components of the vector perpendicular to the module, G, in the level Earth system... but that does not tell me the orientation of the x and y axes of the module (ie. I can rotate the module around an axis that contains vector G).

Thanks, Bobby

What is magnetic compass pitch and roll?

Magnetic compass pitch and roll refers to the angles of a compass in relation to the earth's surface. Pitch is the angle of the compass in the vertical plane, while roll is the angle in the horizontal plane. It is important in navigation to ensure accurate readings from the compass.

Why is it important to interpret magnetic compass pitch and roll?

Interpreting magnetic compass pitch and roll is important because it allows for accurate navigation and prevents errors in readings. It also helps to determine the orientation of the compass in relation to the earth's magnetic field.

What factors can affect magnetic compass pitch and roll?

The main factors that can affect magnetic compass pitch and roll are the magnetic declination of the location, the tilt or inclination of the earth's magnetic field, and the presence of any nearby magnetic objects or disturbances.

How can magnetic compass pitch and roll be interpreted?

Magnetic compass pitch and roll can be interpreted by using a pitch and roll indicator, which is a device that measures and displays the angles of the compass. It can also be interpreted by visually aligning the compass with the horizon and checking for any tilting or rolling.

What are the consequences of incorrect interpretation of magnetic compass pitch and roll?

Incorrect interpretation of magnetic compass pitch and roll can lead to navigational errors and miscalculations, which can be dangerous in certain situations. It can also cause confusion and delay in reaching the intended destination.