Show that x(t) approaches infinity in finite time

In summary: I think I'm guilty of using the wrong signs in my partial fractions. Doh!In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation \dot{x} = rx + x^3 where r>0 is fixed and shows that x(t) approaches infinity in finite time from any initial condition x_{0} \neq 0. The equation is solved using partial fractions and integrated to find the value of x that would make the right-hand side infinite. It is determined that x would represent the gradient of a wave at a given time. There is also a discussion about the accuracy of the partial fraction simplification.
zooxanthellae

Homework Statement

Consider the equation [tex]\dot{x} = rx + x^3,[/tex] where [tex]r>0[/tex] is fixed. Show that [tex]x(t) \rightarrow \pm \infty[/tex] in finite time, starting from any initial condition [tex]x_{0} \neq 0.[/tex]

Homework Equations

I can think of none.

The Attempt at a Solution

The idea alone of x(t) approaching infinity in "finite time" throws me for a loop. Does this merely mean that |x(t)| becomes very large very quickly? That it is increasing (x > 0) or decreasing (x < 0) increasingly quickly as it "moves away from the origin"? It strikes me as impossible for something to "become infinite" in a finite amount of time. This is from Strogatz' "Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos", Exercise 2.5.3 if you are interested.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve the equation! You have:
[tex]
\frac{1}{x(r+x^{2})}\frac{dx}{dt}=1
[/tex]
Use partial fractions to separate to get:
[tex]
\frac{1}{x(r+x^{2})}=\frac{1}{rx}-\frac{1}{r(r+x^{2})}
[/tex]
And then simply integrate, this will give the answer.

I would assume the phrase "approaches infinity in finite time" means the graph has an asymptote.

Indeed. There is a vertical asymptote as a certain finite value of t.

I think I now understand the math behind this, although I'm unable to come up with a physical situation that models it?

First off, can you do the integral?
[tex]
\frac{1}{r}\int \frac{1}{x}-\frac{1}{r+x^{2}}dx=\int 1dt
[/tex]
Physically this would represent a shock wave of some kind.

We end up with: [tex]\frac{ln(x) - (\arctan(x/\sqrt{r})/\sqrt{r})}{4} = t.[/tex] So if this is a shockwave, what exactly is x(t) modeling? Surely not position?

Sorry for what I can kind of tell are pretty basic questions. I've had very little experience with differential equations so I'm sort of learning as I go along in Strogatz.

Last edited:
You also have a constant of integration in there somewhere which you can calculate.

x would represent something like the gradient of the wave at a given time.

So what values on the RHS would make it infinite? look at both the log and arctan terms.

Are you sure about that partial fraction simplification? I get
[tex]\frac{1}{rx} - \frac{x}{r(r+x^2)}[/tex]

I think you could be right there...

What is the concept of "x(t) approaches infinity in finite time"?

"x(t) approaches infinity in finite time" refers to a mathematical concept where a variable, x, continuously increases without bound as time, t, also increases, but this happens within a finite amount of time. In other words, the variable reaches an infinitely large value in a finite amount of time.

What does it mean for a variable to approach infinity?

When a variable approaches infinity, it means that its value is continuously increasing without bound. This means that the variable becomes larger and larger without any limit, and it can be represented by the symbol "∞".

What is the importance of studying "x(t) approaches infinity in finite time"?

Studying this concept is important in understanding the behavior of mathematical functions and their limits. It also has practical applications, such as in physics and engineering, where it can be used to model systems that approach infinite values in a finite amount of time.

How can you show that x(t) approaches infinity in finite time?

There are various mathematical techniques that can be used to show that x(t) approaches infinity in finite time. One way is to analyze the behavior of the function as time approaches a certain value, and see if the value of x becomes infinitely large at that point. Another way is to use limits and show that the function approaches infinity as time approaches a certain value.

Are there any real-life examples of x(t) approaching infinity in finite time?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of this concept, such as radioactive decay, where the amount of radioactive material decreases exponentially over time and approaches zero in a finite amount of time. Another example is a rocket launch, where the speed of the rocket increases continuously and approaches infinity in a finite amount of time.