Faster-Than-Light Motion: Exploring Issues With E=mc^2

• Thread starter Haroldingo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary: It would be absurd to think that this was something that was going to happen specifically tomorrow. However, if I were to say that it's going to rain within the next few hours, then it would be more reasonable to think that this might actually happen.In summary, people have been saying relativity is wrong for 100 years and they were proven wrong every single time. I wouldn't see this as "shouldn't we have seen this coming". Even if what we find out is true at CERN, it's more of a broken clock being right twice a day than anyone actually predicting this.
Haroldingo
First http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=splitting-time-from-space"

THEN

http://www.rense.com/general28/erin.htm"

and NOW the super neutrino radiation evidence of faster - than - light motion.

Should we have seen this coming?

Also here's something I've always wondered, isn't a quantum leap techically FTL anyway? I mean if a particle of matter moves so quickly that it exists in multiple places simultaneously then is that not faster than light, which has a defined speed (or so we think) ?

also doesn't schrodingers wave principle partially prove that reason that light operates as it does is, in fact because the mechanisms used to create it (proton waves/particles) moves at a greater speed than light itself (from one source to another)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
People have been saying relativity is wrong for 100 years and they were proven wrong every single time. I wouldn't see this as "shouldn't we have seen this coming". Even if what we find out is true at CERN, it's more of a broken clock being right twice a day than anyone actually predicting this.

Of course, I heard a 14 year old say relativity was wrong a few years ago. Did he "see it coming" or was he just an ignorant child dreaming of academic immortality? Only if someone could give reason beforehand to think specifically neutrinos would do this (and explain why it's never been seen in any other experiment), then one can say they saw this coming.

Haroldingo said:
First http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=splitting-time-from-space"

THEN

http://www.rense.com/general28/erin.htm"

and NOW the super neutrino radiation evidence of faster - than - light motion.

Should we have seen this coming?

Also here's something I've always wondered, isn't a quantum leap techically FTL anyway? I mean if a particle of matter moves so quickly that it exists in multiple places simultaneously then is that not faster than light, which has a defined speed (or so we think) ?

also doesn't schrodingers wave principle partially prove that reason that light operates as it does is, in fact because the mechanisms used to create it (proton waves/particles) moves at a greater speed than light itself (from one source to another)?

I'm going to let this topic stand so that people can correct the tons of misconception you have in this post. However, no discussion on this apparent superluminal neutrinos should be carried put in this thread.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
ZapperZ said:
I'm going to let this topic stand so that people can correct the tons of misconception you have in this post. However, no discussion on this apparent superluminal neutrinos should be carried put in this thread.

Zz.

I've course I've made misconceptions, I'm a 15 year old up at the early hour of the morning stringing to gather vague pieces of knowledge gathered from shady sources.

You have a doctorate and some years of presumable experience under your belt.

Rather than just superciliously claim that I'm a moron why not correct the misconceptions so i can further my understanding in physics? If every time someone with superior knowledge looked at a floored piece of work they just said 'yeah it's wrong' then science wouldn't even exist.

And the 'apparent' superluminal neutrino would indeed be holey relevant to this thread, or am I wrong again?

Haroldingo said:
And the 'apparent' superluminal neutrino would indeed be holey relevant to this thread, or am I wrong again?

We already have an ongoing discussion about the superluminal neutrino observation from the OPERA experiment:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532620

Since this observation is as yet unconfirmed, we prefer to keep all discussion of it in one thread for now.

Pengwuino said:
People have been saying relativity is wrong for 100 years and they were proven wrong every single time. I wouldn't see this as "shouldn't we have seen this coming". Even if what we find out is true at CERN, it's more of a broken clock being right twice a day than anyone actually predicting this.

Of course, I heard a 14 year old say relativity was wrong a few years ago. Did he "see it coming" or was he just an ignorant child dreaming of academic immortality? Only if someone could give reason beforehand to think specifically neutrinos would do this (and explain why it's never been seen in any other experiment), then one can say they saw this coming.

True, I suppose.

But 'ignorance' and a 'fresh perspective' are not necessarily mutually exclusive. To say somebody is ignorant because they scrutinize the way that science currently is, is in fact a fallacy in itself. Of course they me be ignorant to huge amounts of what science actually holds, but that's not to say that the scrutiny is the subject of their ignorance.

And on the 'specific' nature of predictions I'm also not sure that I agree with you. Perhaps sometimes, in fact a lot of the time, there are coincidences that should be thought of as nothing other than as such - However that's not because of their non-specific nature so to speak. For instance if I were to say tomorrow it'll rain at 4 o'clock - and it does - then I have made a prediction, and it has been seen correct. Just because I don't specify the concentration of the precipitation doesn't make the prediction invalid.

jtbell said:
We already have an ongoing discussion about the superluminal neutrino observation from the OPERA experiment:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532620

Since this observation is as yet unconfirmed, we prefer to keep all discussion of it in one thread for now.

Thank you :)

1. What is "Faster-Than-Light Motion"?

"Faster-Than-Light Motion" refers to the theoretical ability for an object to move faster than the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How does E=mc^2 relate to "Faster-Than-Light Motion"?

E=mc^2 is the famous equation proposed by Albert Einstein that relates energy (E) to mass (m) and the speed of light (c). It is often used in discussions about "Faster-Than-Light Motion" because it suggests that an object's mass would become infinite at the speed of light, making it impossible to accelerate beyond that point.

3. Is "Faster-Than-Light Motion" possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the possibility of "Faster-Than-Light Motion." The theories and equations that suggest it may be possible are purely hypothetical and have not been proven through experiments or observations.

4. What are some of the challenges with "Faster-Than-Light Motion"?

One of the main challenges with "Faster-Than-Light Motion" is that it violates the laws of physics as we currently understand them. The concept also raises questions about causality and the nature of time, as objects moving faster than light could theoretically travel back in time.

5. How do scientists continue to study and explore the possibilities of "Faster-Than-Light Motion"?

Scientists use theoretical models and computer simulations to explore the potential effects of "Faster-Than-Light Motion" and other concepts related to it. They also conduct experiments with particle accelerators and other advanced technologies to better understand the fundamental laws of physics and how they may apply to this phenomenon.