Does a wifi client transmit when not associated?

• Thread starter mp3car
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wifi
In summary, a wifi client constantly transmits probe requests to search for available networks, even when it is not connected to a network. It can also transmit data without being associated with a network by using ad-hoc mode or peer-to-peer mode. The frequency of transmission depends on the client's settings and environment, typically every few seconds. The data transmitted includes information about the client's capabilities and the network it is searching for. To prevent a wifi client from transmitting when not connected to a network, the wifi adapter can be disabled or wifi scanning can be turned off.
mp3car
Does a wifi client (such as a laptop or phone) transmit anything prior to associating (or attempting to associate) with an AP? I suspect no, but I have searched the web and skimmed various specs and standards and I have not been able to find the answer. If you answer my question, please provide a link to a reference, if you can... Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
An 802.11 client can broadcast a "Probe Request Frame" to find out what APs are nearby. Just google "Probe Request Frame". Its up to the NIC driver how often it sends that, if at all.

1. Does a wifi client transmit data when it is not connected to a network?

Yes, a wifi client constantly transmits probe requests to search for available networks, even when it is not connected to a network.

2. Can a wifi client transmit data without being associated with a network?

Yes, a wifi client can transmit data without being associated with a network by using ad-hoc mode or peer-to-peer mode.

3. How often does a wifi client transmit when not associated with a network?

The frequency of transmission depends on the wifi client's settings and the environment, but it typically sends probe requests every few seconds.

4. What type of data does a wifi client transmit when not associated with a network?

A wifi client transmits probe requests, which contain information about the client's capabilities, supported data rates, and the network it is searching for.

5. Is there a way to prevent a wifi client from transmitting when not connected to a network?

Yes, you can disable the wifi client's wifi adapter or turn off wifi scanning to prevent it from transmitting when not connected to a network.