Generating Fixed-Point-Free Permutations in Sn

In summary, the subgroup generated by the fixed-point-free permutations is all of Sn, as shown by the pattern of generating transpositions and the use of cycles in odd and even n cases. It is possible to prove this without computing every combination.
banana112

Homework Statement

What subgroup is generated by the fixed-point-free permutations?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the elements that have no fixed points are the ones whose cycle type adds up to n (i.e. all the numbers in {1,...,n} have to be used). I don't know what to do other than just start computing examples and multiplying out every single combination. EDIT I think they generate all of Sn. I know this is true up to 5, and whenever we have n odd. (We can generate the transpositions, which in turn generate all of Sn.) For odd n this works by: (1,2)=[(1,2)(3,4,...,n)]^(n-2). I haven't yet found something similar for the case when n is even.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
banana112 said:

Homework Statement

What subgroup is generated by the fixed-point-free permutations?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the elements that have no fixed points are the ones whose cycle type adds up to n (i.e. all the numbers in {1,...,n} have to be used). I don't know what to do other than just start computing examples and multiplying out every single combination. EDIT I think they generate all of Sn. I know this is true up to 5, and whenever we have n odd. (We can generate the transpositions, which in turn generate all of Sn.) For odd n this works by: (1,2)=[(1,2)(3,4,...,n)]^(n-2). I haven't yet found something similar for the case when n is even.

Look for other patterns that will let you prove all transpostions are generated. Like for S8, (1,2)(3,4,5)(6,7,8) to the third power. What's a good one for S10? You might have to get a little more creative for S6 but you can certainly do it without multiplying out every single combination.

Last edited:

1. What are fixed point free elements?

Fixed point free elements are elements in a set that do not map to themselves under a given function or transformation. In other words, when the function is applied to the element, the resulting value is not the same as the original element.

2. Why are fixed point free elements important in mathematics?

Fixed point free elements have many applications in mathematics, particularly in the study of group theory and topology. They also play a role in the study of dynamical systems and chaos theory.

3. How can fixed point free elements be identified?

Fixed point free elements can be identified by examining the function or transformation and determining which elements do not map to themselves. This can be done by hand or with the help of mathematical software.

4. Can a set have more than one fixed point free element?

Yes, a set can have multiple fixed point free elements. In fact, some sets may have infinitely many fixed point free elements.

5. Are fixed point free elements always present in a set?

No, not all sets will have fixed point free elements. It depends on the specific function or transformation applied to the set and the properties of the set itself.