Fluid Mechanics: Determine volumetric flowrate

In summary, fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and forces of fluids. The volumetric flowrate of a fluid is determined by dividing the volume of fluid passing through a point by the time it takes. The size and shape of the channel, viscosity of the fluid, and pressure difference all affect the flowrate. It can be measured using flowmeters or the Bernoulli's equation. Knowing the volumetric flowrate is important in various applications and helps in understanding the behavior and movement of fluids.
cheme333

Homework Statement

*See attachment for diagram*

With steady-state operation, an energy balance between point 1 and point 2 along the A side dictates:

*See attachment for equation 1*

And an energy balance between points 1 and 2 along the B side dictates:

*see attachment for equation 2*

Comparing the two balances, the following can be determined:

*See attachment for equation 3*

Which states that frictional losses over parallel segments are equal. With this in mind, develop a model for the system and fill in the missing entries in the table below.

Qtot LA DA LB DB QA QB
gpm ft in ft in gpm gpm

150 85 4 100 4 ? ?
80 100 4 400 3 ? ?
300 120 2 120 3 ? ?
300 120 6 50 4 ? ?
180 80 ? 80 4 60 ?
300 ? 3 70 3 140 ?
? 300 6 100 4 100 ?

Homework Equations

Use chen equation for friction factor:

1/(f)^1/2 = -2.0log((e/D)/3.7065 – 5.0452A/Re)
A = log((e/D)^1.1098/2.8257 + (5.8506/Re^0.8981))

The Attempt at a Solution

We are allowed to use Excel goal seek (I think we HAVE to). However, i cannot seem to get a system of equations that will solve for Va and Vb. I believe that if I had those terms, I could easily calculate Qa and Qb. If that's not the direction I need to be going, then I am completely lost.

For the first row, we were given the answers so that we could check our model. Qa=83.1 gpm and Qb=66.9 gpm.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• scan0009.jpg
    scan0009.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 389
  • eqn1.JPG
    eqn1.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am happy to help you develop a model for the system and fill in the missing entries in the table.

First, let's review the given equations:

*See attachment for equation 1*

*See attachment for equation 2*

*See attachment for equation 3*

From these equations, we can see that the total flow rate (Qtot) is equal to the sum of the flow rates on the A and B sides (QA and QB). We can also see that the frictional losses (LA and LB) are equal. Therefore, we can write the following equations:

Qtot = QA + QB

LA = LB

Now, we can use these equations to solve for the missing entries in the table. Let's start with the first row:

Qtot = 150 gpm
LA = 85 ft
DA = 4 in
LB = 100 ft
DB = 4 in
QA = ?
QB = ?

Using the first equation, we can substitute the known values and solve for QA:

150 gpm = QA + QB

QA = 150 gpm - QB

Now, we can use the second equation to substitute the known values and solve for QB:

85 ft = LB

100 ft = LB

LB = 85 ft

Now, we can use the third equation to substitute the known values and solve for QB:

85 ft = 100 ft

100 ft = 85 ft

85 ft = 100 ft

Therefore, QA = 150 gpm - 85 ft = 65 gpm

And QB = 150 gpm - 65 gpm = 85 ft

So, the first row of the table would be:

Qtot = 150 gpm
LA = 85 ft
DA = 4 in
LB = 100 ft
DB = 4 in
QA = 65 gpm
QB = 85 ft

Similarly, we can use this method to solve for the missing entries in the other rows of the table.

I hope this helps you develop your model and solve the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Scientist

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids, gases, and plasmas) and the forces that act on them.

2. How is volumetric flowrate determined?

Volumetric flowrate is determined by dividing the volume of fluid that passes through a certain point in a given amount of time. The formula for volumetric flowrate is Q = V/t, where Q is the flowrate, V is the volume, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect the volumetric flowrate of a fluid?

The volumetric flowrate of a fluid is affected by factors such as the size and shape of the pipe or channel through which the fluid is flowing, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe or channel.

4. How is the volumetric flowrate of a fluid measured?

The volumetric flowrate of a fluid can be measured using different methods such as flowmeters, which measure the volume of fluid passing through a certain point in a given amount of time, or by using the Bernoulli's equation which relates the velocity of the fluid to the pressure difference between two points.

5. Why is knowing the volumetric flowrate of a fluid important?

Knowing the volumetric flowrate of a fluid is important in various applications, such as in the design of pipes and channels for fluid transportation, in the analysis of fluid systems, and in the optimization of industrial processes. It also helps in understanding the behavior of fluids and in predicting their movement and interactions with other substances.