'Simple' Optimization Problem

• Thread starter ObviousManiac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem about finding the maximum volume of an open box made from a piece of cardboard. The solution involves using the formula V = lwh and finding the derivative to determine the maximum volume. The answer is found to be 1.92 inches, but the person is still unsure and seeks reassurance.
ObviousManiac
Just reviewing for a chapter test... I've always found optimization problems easy, but I don't have answers for these review questions so I thought I'd check my work on here.

Homework Statement

A piece of cardboard is 14 inches by 10 inches and you are going to cut out the corners and fold up the sides to form an open box. Determine the height of the box that will give a maximum volume.

Homework Equations

V = lwh

The Attempt at a Solution

Using
(10-2x) as l
(14-2x) as w
and x as the height:

V = (10-2x)(14-2x)x = 4x^3 - 48^2 +140x

dv/dx = 12x^2 - 96x + 140

0 = 12x^2 - 96x +140

x = 6.08, 1.92 or 1/3(12±√39)

... this is where I get lost. I feel like I messed it up somewhere because I get weird numbers for x. Technically, the 6.08 number is impossible, so x would have to equal 1.92. But still, I feel uncomfortable with these numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you uncomfortable about the answer you got?

Would it make you more comfortable to compare the volume if the height were slightly above or below the height you calculated to the volume you got?

jamesrc said:
Would it make you more comfortable to compare the volume if the height were slightly above or below the height you calculated to the volume you got?

haha, yes, actually. It helped quite a bit. I think I'm just too tired from too many late nights of studying... thanks for the help.

What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the best solution (maximum or minimum) among all possible solutions. It involves identifying the variables and constraints, and using mathematical techniques to find the optimal solution.

What is a 'simple' optimization problem?

A 'simple' optimization problem is one that can be solved using basic mathematical techniques, such as linear or quadratic programming. It typically involves a small number of variables and constraints, and does not require advanced mathematical methods to find the optimal solution.

What are the steps involved in solving a 'simple' optimization problem?

The steps involved in solving a 'simple' optimization problem include identifying the objective function, determining the variables and constraints, formulating the problem as a mathematical model, and using mathematical techniques to find the optimal solution.

What are some real-world examples of 'simple' optimization problems?

Some real-world examples of 'simple' optimization problems include minimizing production costs, maximizing profits, optimizing resource allocation, and minimizing travel time. These problems can be solved using basic mathematical techniques and are commonly encountered in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and finance.

What are some common techniques used to solve 'simple' optimization problems?

Some common techniques used to solve 'simple' optimization problems include linear programming, quadratic programming, and gradient descent. These techniques involve using mathematical formulas and algorithms to find the optimal solution to the problem.