Calculating the Vector Field from a curl function

In summary, the student is trying to find the area integral of the vector field F in terms of the rectangle A(x, y) and the vector θ, θ, φ. Unfortunately, they are stumped and need help from someone else.
PandaGunship

Homework Statement

Consider the intersection,R, between two circles : x2+y2=2 and (x-2)2+y2=2
a) Find a 2-Dimensional vector field F=(M(x,y),N(x,y)) such that ∂N/∂x - ∂M/∂y=1

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are other parts to the main question but I don't think I will have a problem with them. I know how to calculate the curl of F but I'm unsure of how to go about it so that the vector field relates to the intersection as we use F in an integral later on. What I thought of doing was integrating the curl function with respect to x or y in turn and trying to find M and N. I can't quite see how to involve the equations of the circles in all of this, if someone could point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump?

What was the full statement of the problem? There doesn't see, to be any statement as to what the "two circles" has to do with the vector you are trying to find.

If the problem were just "Find a two dimensional vector [itex]\underline{F}= (M(x,y),N(x,y))[/itex] such that [itex]\partial N/\partial x- \partial M/\partial y= 1[/itex] then M= y, N=2x so that [itex]\underline{F}= (y, 2x)[/itex] is an obvious solution.

HallsofIvy said:
What was the full statement of the problem? There doesn't see, to be any statement as to what the "two circles" has to do with the vector you are trying to find.

If the problem were just "Find a two dimensional vector [itex]\underline{F}= (M(x,y),N(x,y))[/itex] such that [itex]\partial N/\partial x- \partial M/\partial y= 1[/itex] then M= y, N=2x so that [itex]\underline{F}= (y, 2x)[/itex] is an obvious solution.

Part b) of the question asks "Using this F and Greene's theorem, write the area integral ∫∫RdA as a line integral"

Does that help?

How can I solve the
∇×A(r,θ,φ)=B,A(r)=?,A(θ)=?,A(φ)=?
where B is constant.
please help me? :(

1. What is a curl function?

A curl function, also known as a vector field, is a mathematical function that describes the direction and magnitude of a vector at each point in a given space. It is used to describe the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields.

2. How do you calculate the vector field from a curl function?

To calculate the vector field from a curl function, you can use the curl operator, which is a mathematical operation that takes the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each coordinate. The resulting vector is then called the curl of the original function.

3. What is the significance of calculating the vector field from a curl function?

Calculating the vector field from a curl function is important in understanding the behavior of fluids and electromagnetic fields. It helps us visualize and predict the direction and magnitude of the vector at each point in space, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications.

4. Can a curl function have multiple solutions?

Yes, a curl function can have multiple solutions. This is because the curl operator is a differential operator, and the resulting vector can vary depending on the choice of coordinates. Additionally, different boundary conditions can also lead to different solutions for the same curl function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating the vector field from a curl function?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of calculating the vector field from a curl function. Some examples include predicting the flow of air around an airplane wing, understanding the behavior of ocean currents, and designing efficient motors using electromagnetic fields.