Is superstringtheory a quantum theory ?

In summary, Patrick explains that string theory is a quantum theory, and that it is possible that gravity might be a solution to the measurement problem in QM.
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A very naive question from a beginner:

I only know a very limited amount of string theory, and as far as I know it, it is a quantum theory in the strictest sense, namely that we still have a state in Hilbert space which evolves unitarily ; it is just the "theory to be quantized" that changes, from, say, QFT, into something vastly more complex (or simple, depends on the viewpoint :-). In fact, all I know about it is about the "theory to be quantized". Is this view, that superstring theory is a quantum theory, essentially correct, or am I completely off ?

cheers,
Patrick.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given the amount of space the textbooks devote to different ways of quantizing it (canonical, light cone, etc. etc.) I would certainly say it is a quantum theory. Just as in other theories we often talk about the classical theory pre-quant, as in "wave function", yet those normal modes of the string are quantized (in simple cases quantum SHOs).

BTW it was Heisenberg, back in the late 1920s or early 1930s, who first quantized the string. It is one of the way stations on the road to QFT.

selfAdjoint said:
Given the amount of space the textbooks devote to different ways of quantizing it (canonical, light cone, etc. etc.) I would certainly say it is a quantum theory. Just as in other theories we often talk about the classical theory pre-quant, as in "wave function", yet those normal modes of the string are quantized (in simple cases quantum SHOs).

That's what I also figured out, but it could be that I misunderstood it. The question is in fact if the "good old" strictly linear machinery of QM is used unaltered, with strictly unitary evolution and everything. I figured this was the case, but wanted to check.
The reason for my asking is more on the interpretational issue of QM. Some (Penrose) say that gravity might be a possible "solution" to the measurement problem in QM, but if superstrings is on the right track and if there is still our good old QM, then this option is out, I'd say.

cheers,
Patrick.

vanesch said:
The reason for my asking is more on the interpretational issue of QM. Some (Penrose) say that gravity might be a possible "solution" to the measurement problem in QM, but if superstrings is on the right track and if there is still our good old QM, then this option is out, I'd say.
I would say that too. Nevertheless, string theory could solve the measurement problem in another way:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0512186

1. What is superstring theory?

Superstring theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to describe the fundamental nature of the universe by considering the smallest building blocks of matter as tiny vibrating strings rather than point-like particles.

2. Is superstring theory a quantum theory?

Yes, superstring theory is considered to be a quantum theory because it incorporates the principles of quantum mechanics, which govern the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

3. How does superstring theory relate to other quantum theories?

Superstring theory is one of the most promising theories that attempts to unify all the known forces in the universe, including gravity, into a single framework. It is also related to other quantum theories, such as quantum field theory and quantum gravity, which also aim to unify the fundamental forces.

4. What are the main challenges in superstring theory?

One of the main challenges in superstring theory is the lack of experimental evidence to support its claims. It is also a highly complex and mathematically rigorous theory, making it difficult to test and verify. Other challenges include the existence of multiple possible solutions and the lack of a complete and consistent framework.

5. Why is superstring theory important?

Superstring theory is important because it offers a potential solution to the long-standing problem of unifying all the known forces in the universe. It also has the potential to provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of reality and could potentially lead to new technological advancements. Additionally, superstring theory has sparked new developments and advancements in mathematics and other areas of physics.