Find Distance proton traveled AP Problem

• Thread starter lrp3395
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Proton
In summary, the conversation discusses the momentum and relativistic effects of a proton directed towards a stationary uranium nucleus. The de Broglie wavelength and kinetic energy of the proton are calculated, and the distance at which the proton reverses direction is determined using the concept of mechanical energy.
lrp3395
The momentum of a particular proton is
5.5 10 kg m s
-
¥ i . Relativistic effects can be ignored throughout this
question.
(a) Calculate the de Broglie wavelength of the proton.
(b) Calculate the kinetic energy of the proton.
The proton is directed toward a very distant stationary uranium nucleus,
U . The proton reaches a distance D
from the center of the nucleus and then reverses direction. Assume that the nucleus is heavy enough to remain
stationary during the interaction.
(c) Calculate the value of D.

I have no idea how to do part C please help

Physics news on Phys.org
This site is meant to make you think, and not to just give you the answers SO I WILL JUST MAKE YOU UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT BEHIND IT.
you have momentum of the proton, so you can get the energy of it.
now the forces here involved are all conservative in nature (Electrostatic force is conservative ) so the mechanical energy of the proton when its too far from the uranium will be equal to the mechanical energy of the proton when its at distant D form uranium.
With these things in mind you can easily get the answer.
Zubeen

1. How do I calculate the distance a proton traveled in an AP problem?

In order to find the distance a proton traveled in an AP problem, you will need to know the initial velocity of the proton, the acceleration due to the electric field, and the time interval over which the proton traveled. Once you have this information, you can use the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2 to calculate the distance.

2. What is the initial velocity of a proton in an AP problem?

The initial velocity of a proton in an AP problem will vary depending on the specific problem. It could be given directly or you may need to calculate it using the formula v0 = (E/q)mpt, where E is the electric field strength, q is the charge of the proton, mp is the mass of the proton, and t is the time interval.

3. How do I determine the acceleration due to the electric field in an AP problem?

The acceleration due to the electric field can be determined using the formula a = E/q, where E is the electric field strength and q is the charge of the proton. This value will be constant for all problems involving the same electric field.

4. Can I use the same formula to find the distance a proton traveled in all AP problems?

Yes, the formula d = v0t + 1/2at2 can be used to find the distance a proton traveled in any AP problem as long as you have the necessary information, such as initial velocity, acceleration, and time interval.

5. What units should I use to express the distance traveled by a proton in an AP problem?

The distance traveled by a proton in an AP problem should be expressed in units of meters (m), as this is the standard unit for distance in the International System of Units (SI).