Help With Partial Derivatives and Infinite Sums

In summary, to solve the calculus project, one needs to substitute equation (2) into equation (1) and solve for T in equation (2). There is no need to modify the infinite sum, as it can be multiplied with T0 without any problems. The main goal is to prove that equation (2) is a solution to equation (1). Any further assistance or guidance would be appreciated.
Tenenbaum3r
I'm working on a calculus project and I can't seem to work through this next part...
I need to substitute equation (2) into equation (1):

(1): r[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/itex](r[itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}[/itex])+[itex]\frac{\partial ^{2}T}{\partial\Theta^{2}}[/itex]=0

(2): [itex]\frac{T-T_{0}}{T_{0}}[/itex]=A[itex]_{0}[/itex]+[itex]\sum[/itex] from n=1 to infinity of ([itex]\frac{r}{R}[/itex])[itex]^{n}[/itex](A[itex]_{n}[/itex]cos(n[itex]\Theta[/itex])+B[itex]_{n}[/itex]sin(n[itex]\Theta[/itex]))

I know I have to solve for T in the second equation and then substitute but I don't really know the rules for infinite sums... The whole point of this is to prove that equation (2) is a solution to equation (1). Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can multiply an infinite sum with T0, this is no problem. You don't need to modify the sum itself to solve equation (2) for T.

Thank you! that helped me figure it out

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by a subscripted variable, such as fx for the partial derivative of f with respect to x.

2. How do I calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative of a function, you need to treat all other variables as constants and differentiate the function with respect to the variable of interest. For example, to find fx, you would differentiate the function f with respect to x while treating all other variables as constants.

3. What is an infinite sum?

An infinite sum, also known as an infinite series, is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented by the sigma (∑) notation and can have a finite or infinite number of terms. An example of an infinite sum is 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ...

4. How do I evaluate an infinite sum?

The convergence or divergence of an infinite sum can be determined by applying various tests, such as the comparison test, ratio test, or integral test. If the sum is found to be convergent, its value can be approximated by adding a finite number of terms or by using a mathematical formula specific to that particular sum.

5. Can partial derivatives and infinite sums be combined?

Yes, they can be combined in certain cases, such as when evaluating a double or triple integral. In these cases, the partial derivatives of the function inside the integral can be taken in any order, as long as the final result is the same. However, the convergence of the infinite sum must still be considered when evaluating the integral.