Function with many local minima

In summary, a "function with many local minima" is a mathematical function with multiple points where the function reaches a minimum value within a small neighborhood. These points, called local minima, may not be the absolute lowest point on the entire function. These functions pose a challenge because it can be difficult to determine the absolute minimum value. Scientists use methods like gradient descent algorithms to deal with these functions and find the global minimum. Real-world problems involving functions with many local minima include optimization problems and natural phenomena. While these functions can be challenging, they also have benefits such as capturing complex relationships and allowing for more nuanced optimization.
Old Monk
I've been working on a decentralized algorithm for finding local minima. Can anyone give me a few examples of mappings of the form F:R→R that have multiple local minima. I'm having problems defining neighbourhood on mappings from R2→R, so I thought I'll test it out on single variable functions first.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the sum of some trig functions with no common periouds, for example
##\sin x + \cos( \sqrt 2 x) + \sin( \sqrt3 x)##.

Or if you want a cluster of local minima, throw in something like ##\sin(1/x)##

What is a "function with many local minima"?

A "function with many local minima" is a mathematical function that has multiple points where the function reaches a minimum value within a small neighborhood. These points are called local minima because they are lower than the surrounding points, but they may not be the absolute lowest point on the entire function.

Why do functions with many local minima pose a challenge?

Functions with many local minima pose a challenge because it can be difficult to determine the absolute minimum value of the function. This is because there are multiple potential minimum points, and it can be time-consuming or even impossible to check each one individually.

How do scientists deal with functions with many local minima?

Scientists use various methods to deal with functions with many local minima, such as gradient descent algorithms or simulated annealing. These methods help to find the global minimum, or the lowest point on the entire function, by iteratively searching for lower points in the function.

What types of real-world problems involve functions with many local minima?

Functions with many local minima are commonly found in optimization problems, such as finding the most efficient route for a delivery truck or determining the best parameters for a machine learning model. They can also be found in natural phenomena, such as the shape of a protein or the path of a chemical reaction.

Are there any advantages to having a function with many local minima?

While functions with many local minima can pose a challenge, they also have benefits. These functions can capture complex relationships and provide a more accurate representation of real-world data. They can also allow for more nuanced optimization, finding multiple potential solutions instead of a single, rigid solution.