Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass

In summary, the down quark mass cannot be directly produced in electroweak theory, but is instead a result of cabbibo mixing between heavier quarks.
Sekonda
Hey,

A question on a paper asks to show how ψ(L) and ψ(R) decouple in the Dirac equation in the massless limit, after doing this we are told

pp2.png

pp3.png

'It is not possible to write a mass term for the down quark in electroweak theory - explain. How is the observed down quark mass then produced in this theory?'

I'm not quite sure what the questions means but I'm thinking it has something to do with the weak eigenstates or cabbibo mixing. I think the lecturer explained this but I didn't understand it, could anyone explain this to me?

Thanks,
SK

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The down quark mass cannot be generated in electroweak theory because the weak eigenstates are always massless. The observed down quark mass is a result of cabbibo mixing which occurs when two heavier quarks (i.e. up and charm quark) mix together through the weak interaction. This process creates an effective down quark mass due to the energy difference between the two heavier quarks.

1. What is the Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass?

The Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass is the mass of the down quark, which is one of the fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is a measure of the amount of matter contained within the down quark.

2. How is the Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass determined?

The Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass is determined through experimental measurements and calculations using the laws of quantum mechanics. Scientists use particle accelerators and detectors to study the behavior of particles, including the down quark, in order to determine their mass.

3. What is the significance of the Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass?

The Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass plays a crucial role in the Standard Model, as it is one of the building blocks of matter and helps explain the interactions between particles. It also helps us understand the origin of mass in the universe through the Higgs mechanism.

4. How does the Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass differ from other quark masses?

The Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass is one of the six quark masses in the Standard Model, and it is the second lightest after the up quark. It also differs in its interactions with other particles, such as the W and Z bosons, due to its electric charge and weak charge.

5. Can the Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass change?

The Electroweak Theory Down Quark Mass can change under certain conditions, such as high energy collisions between particles. It can also be affected by the presence of other particles, such as the Higgs boson. However, its overall value is considered to be a fundamental constant in the Standard Model.