Admission to graduate schools like MIT,Princeton(for physics,maths)

In summary, an Indian student is looking for advice on what to do next in order to improve his chances of getting into a good graduate school. He has completed two years of a Bachelor's in Technology and has below average grades, but he is passionate about theoretical physics and math. He wants to pursue a PhD in one of these fields. He feels that he is capable of doing so, but he needs help to improve his chances.
shataqshi
Hi,
I am an Indian student currently pursuing a Bachelor in Technology in the field Food Technology. However,I have been wanting to study more of physics,maths and computer science in graduate school. I never had great scores in my high school examinations,not because I feel I didn't have the ability to,but because I didn't really try hard enough. I really am inclined towards astrophysics. I really really want to get into the top grad schools like MIT,Cal Tech,Princeton etc. I have been utterly confused all my senior high school years about what I really want to do with my life and as a result,I couldn't focus on one particular thing at a time leading to getting only average scores and also a poor result in my Engineering Entrance Examinations. Even after having completed 2 years of B.Tech. in Food Technology(with average scores,a CG PA of 6-7 out of 10 in each semester),I feel I can do so so much more than this and I am capable of gaining admission to such schools. I am fascinated by physics,maths(especially theoretical physics and maths),and I am willing to do anything it takes to get grad admission in such schools,since I believe I can really do it. Can you please suggest what should I be doing at this point of time? I have 2 years left for grad school to begin. I have taken basic physics and maths courses in my college in my first 3 semesters of college but I feel I still don't have good real knowledge about them and I realize that I need much more courses to be eligible for applying. I want to know how much will it take me to reach at the level where I can apply to such top schools and be considered as a worthy candidate for pursuing astrophysics,or other such theoretical math and physics intensive courses in grad schools?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't look good. First of all, MIT and Princeton are some of the most competitive universities in the world. Nobody is guaranteed admission there. Certainly not if you're not from the US.

Your GPA is average, which is not good enough for MIT or Princeton. You'll have to get perfect scores from now on. You'll have to do very good on the GRE, have insanely good letters of recomendation, etc.

Also, your bachelor is in Food Technology? What makes you think that you could handle a PhD in Math or Physics? Or more relevant, why would somebody at MIT prefer to let somebody in who completed a BS in Food Technology with average grades over somebody who completed a Math degree with perfect grades?

If you want to do math or physics, why are you still majoring in Food Technology?

micromass said:
It doesn't look good. First of all, MIT and Princeton are some of the most competitive universities in the world. Nobody is guaranteed admission there. Certainly not if you're not from the US.

Your GPA is average, which is not good enough for MIT or Princeton. You'll have to get perfect scores from now on. You'll have to do very good on the GRE, have insanely good letters of recomendation, etc.

Also, your bachelor is in Food Technology? What makes you think that you could handle a PhD in Math or Physics? Or more relevant, why would somebody at MIT prefer to let somebody in who completed a BS in Food Technology with average grades over somebody who completed a Math degree with perfect grades?

If you want to do math or physics, why are you still majoring in Food Technology?

I have been nothing but frustrated these 2 years,not working towards what I wanted to do. Actually,not knowing what I was capable of or what I wanted to do with my life.Without consulting anyone,I had adamantly made up my mind that my course couldn't be changed. It's not as if I hate this particular course,but that I'd be much more happier if I were doing some more of hard physics,maths. I am deeply fascinated by science,and I am starting to realize this more and more with every passing day. I have completed 2 years already and I have talked to my college admission officer,it's not possible to change now.

How impossible can it be? Science is my passion. Irrespective of whatever grades I got and what so ever academic failures I had,I am trying hard to leave it all behind and not let it dictate my future plans. Even if it sounds daunting,I am willing to do all it takes to be considered as worthy as any potential MIT applicant in Maths/Physics field when applying to grad school? More than worthy,I want to be an applicant with academic credentials that just cannot go unnoticed. I just don't have clear plans at the moment. I know I am capable of it. I wanted suggestions on what exactly do I need to do to be considered a worthy applicant for such schools? (Not bothered by the number of hours I'd have to study the subjects,or the amount of workload). How and when should I start with what? I am getting started with the fundamentals of physics by Halliday,Resnick and Walker. I am in need of some really good advice here.

I went to one of these graduate schools. The (few) students from India I met were people who had placed on the Putnam or topped the JEE, for the most part. All had graduated from IITs, except for a few who had attended Harvard/MIT/Caltech as undergraduates.

I regret to say this, but without that level of credential, I don't think you can realistically expect to go to the very top US graduate schools in physics or mathematics.

However, you may be able to go to some US graduate school, possibly a good one. To do this in physics you would have to work hard, spend an extra couple of years and finish the full physics curriculum, smash the physics GRE, get involved in physics research and try to be part of publishing a paper, maybe somehow do summer research in the US or at some well known Indian institution (TIFR, PRL, whatever) and get solid letters of recommendation.

If I were you, actually, since you already have a background in food engineering which I assume means you have studied biology, chemistry and/or engineering, I would focus on putting together the absolute strongest application I could in one of those fields (chemical engineering maybe?)--and then if you remain interested in physics, once admitted to a graduate program, try to move in the direction of whatever you are interested in by your choice of coursework, advisor, and project. What many people don't realize is that there is actually a lot of overlap, at the research/PhD level, between physics, applied mathematics, and many branches of engineering, with people often moving between departments and fields.

Last edited:
moontiger said:
I went to one of these graduate schools. The (few) students from India I met were people who had placed on the Putnam or topped the JEE, for the most part. All had graduated from IITs, except for a few who had attended Harvard/MIT/Caltech as undergraduates.

I regret to say this, but without that level of credential, I don't think you can realistically expect to go to the very top US graduate schools in physics or mathematics.

However, you may be able to go to some US graduate school, possibly a good one. To do this in physics you would have to work hard, spend an extra couple of years and finish the full physics curriculum, smash the physics GRE, get involved in physics research and try to be part of publishing a paper, maybe somehow do summer research in the US or at some well known Indian institution (TIFR, PRL, whatever) and get solid letters of recommendation.

If I were you, actually, since you already have a background in food engineering which I assume means you have studied biology, chemistry and/or engineering, I would focus on putting together the absolute strongest application I could in one of those fields (chemical engineering maybe?)--and then if you remain interested in physics, once admitted to a graduate program, try to move in the direction of whatever you are interested in by your choice of coursework, advisor, and project. What many people don't realize is that there is actually a lot of overlap, at the research/PhD level, between physics, applied mathematics, and many branches of engineering, with people often moving between departments and fields.
Perhaps you're right. But everything can have a first time,can it not? Aren't there any maths or physics Olympiads held at the undergrad level in India that are widely recognized throughout the U.S. ? Something,anything that helps establish the fact that I am worthy of applying for such courses after all?

I am asking solely under the assumption that you have an idea of what opportunities are available in India for the above mentioned situation.

shataqshi said:
But everything can have a first time,can it not?

This is not a plan. This is a hope.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is not a plan. This is a hope.

Uh,now that I've written it,I can't say you're wrong. Could you suggest me what should I be doing at this point of time? What would be the plan if you were at my place?

shataqshi said:
Uh,now that I've written it,I can't say you're wrong. Could you suggest me what should I be doing at this point of time? What would be the plan if you were at my place?

I don't like to be negative. But it seems your chances to get into MIT or Princeton are very close to nonexistant at this point. There are simply too many negative points about your situation: your GPA, your major which isn't physics or math.

Maybe if you would enter Putnam and win it with a perfect score together with other competitions, then you might have a chance, but the chances on that are so incredibly small...

I would try to think of a Plan B. You might not get into MIT or Princeton, but there are other US grad schools where you might get in. Moontiger has some good advice.

shataqshi said:
Perhaps you're right. But everything can have a first time,can it not? Aren't there any maths or physics Olympiads held at the undergrad level in India that are widely recognized throughout the U.S. ? Something,anything that helps establish the fact that I am worthy of applying for such courses after all?

Grad school is about research. The way to US grad admissions is to demonstrate your ability to do outstanding research. Do the things I mentioned in my last post. Broadly recognized credentials include research publications, and good recommendation letters from anyone known to US professors. Work somewhere like TIFR or PRL for a while and you may find connections to Indian physics professors in the US. Good grades in your physics classes and scoring high on the physics GRE are necessary but not at all sufficient.

If you manage all of the above really, really well, you will still not land at MIT, but you will have a shot at say Boston University, or Tufts, or U Mass Boston.

But I'll repeat what I said before...my advice to you is to capitalize on the training you do have as much as possible, and work your way over to physics if you feel inclined.

Likes 1 person
If you're really passionate about physics, you should be happy to study it anywhere. Why this focus on a top school when you know so little about physics in the first place? When you don't even know what field of it you're interested in? When you don't know where the top professors are located?

eri said:
If you're really passionate about physics, you should be happy to study it anywhere. Why this focus on a top school when you know so little about physics in the first place? When you don't even know what field of it you're interested in? When you don't know where the top professors are located?

That is really the right question to ask. I knew so little about physics because as I mentioned,I never tried to realize this ambition until now. I had been involved in many things,and a lack of focus on one made things disastrous for me. I never knew the importance schools had to play,until I got into an average university where all I got to hear was students ranting about the teachers,the lectures,the world in general. Not saying that I am great at all,but when even the teachers aren't interested in delivering the concepts well,and when the atmosphere doesn't encourage real learning and understanding of the subjects,I end up feeling miserable regretting how I wasted a lot of opportunities and I could have done so much better than this. I want to be great. I just want to be at par students that are at schools like that.
I am not implying that schools can make or break anyone,but I am just trying to justify what happened all these years and it's only now that I really want to explore my full potential.

shataqshi said:
That is really the right question to ask. I knew so little about physics because as I mentioned,I never tried to realize this ambition until now. I had been involved in many things,and a lack of focus on one made things disastrous for me. I never knew the importance schools had to play,until I got into an average university where all I got to hear was students ranting about the teachers,the lectures,the world in general. Not saying that I am great at all,but when even the teachers aren't interested in delivering the concepts well,and when the atmosphere doesn't encourage real learning and understanding of the subjects,I end up feeling miserable regretting how I wasted a lot of opportunities and I could have done so much better than this. I want to be great. I just want to be at par students that are at schools like that.
I am not implying that schools can make or break anyone,but I am just trying to justify what happened all these years and it's only now that I really want to explore my full potential.

This is understandable. But there are many more ways to develop your true potential than to go to schools which are top of the world. I mean that there are a lot of universities which are not top universities, but which still give you an extremely good education and which do have very good profs. You really don't need to go to MIT or Princeton for this.

For example, I went to a university which isn't well-known at all, not even in the top 100 of the world. But I did get many opportunities to develop myself and to learn mathematics. Most professors were really good and knew their stuff. Obviously, I would have gone to MIT if I was given the opportunity, but I'm not at all disappointed at my university.

There are many other ways to prove yourself, and you will have many opportunities to do so in the future.

Last edited:
micromass said:
This is understandable. But there are many more ways to develop your true potential than to go to schools which are top of the world. I mean that there are a lot of universities which are not top universities, but which still give you an extremely good education and which do have very good profs. You really don't need to go to MIT or Princeton for this.

For example, I went to a university which isn't well-known at all, not even in the top 100 of the world. But I did get many opportunities to develop myself and to learn mathematics. Most professors were really good and knew their stuff. Obviously, I would have gone to MIT if I was given the opportunity, but I'm not at all disappointed at my university.

That sounds great. I guess I have just conditioned my mind to think this way,which might be due to a variety of reasons,specifically my past experiences. Well,thank you for the suggestions. I will just do my best and see how it goes.

moontiger said:
I went to a normal undergrad and to one of those grad schools. Yes, the grad school was an amazing place, and it was a unique few years. But it was only school, and then it was over.

It's hard to see this when you are a student, but a few years out from school nobody, including you, really cares where you went. It's more important, in the long term, what you do with your life, personally and professionally.

(But I would not have believed that if someone told me that when I was 20, either. :) )

Wouldn't you say that the kind of people you're with and the kind of experiences you have shape your life to a good extent? I have been in average schools and universities since the past few years prior to which I was enrolled in one of the top high schools in the country, and I can really tell the difference now. It's almost as if I could have been a different person only if I had gone to the right place. There are not enough opportunities and more importantly,a dearth of people I would really want to connect with on a daily basis. I really don't think I am exaggerating. Of course,there could be thousands of contradictions to this,but to each their own. Hopefully,I can make amends for the past now.Let's hope for the best.

moontiger said:
There are many other ways to prove yourself, and you will have many opportunities to do so in the future.

I really hope so. Thanks. :)

shataqshi said:
Wouldn't you say that the kind of people you're with and the kind of experiences you have shape your life to a good extent? I have been in average schools and universities since the past few years prior to which I was enrolled in one of the top high schools in the country, and I can really tell the difference now. It's almost as if I could have been a different person only if I had gone to the right place. There are a dearth of opportunities and a dearth of people I would want to connect with on a daily basis. I really don't think I am exaggerating. However,there could be thousands of contradictions to this,but to each their own. Hopefully,I can make amends for the past now.Let's hope for the best.

To one extent, this is true. If you are in the company of motivated people interested in physics and math, then this will carry over to you often.

But on the other hand, you have a great responsibility too. If you want to self-study physics and work through several textbooks, then you can, nobody is stopping you. The brightest and most successful people are the people who do their stuff without anybody helping them.

So if you want to know a lot of physics and math? What is stopping you from getting a good textbook and working through it? You can ask questions here on PF if you wish. Don't let the negativity of other people harm your progress!

shataqshi said:
Wouldn't you say that the kind of people you're with and the kind of experiences you have shape your life to a good extent?

Yes, but not as much as you'd think. Over the course of my career, which included teaching and mentoring many students, I observed that a bright and motivated student will find a way to shine wherever he or she lands. At most, a good school makes it a little easier and gives them more confidence, sometimes more resources, and some connections.

In fact, sometimes it is also good to be a big fish in a small pond. At a big school you will be just one of many outstanding students, whereas at a small school you have less competition and if you put in the same effort you can stand out a lot more.

If I were you and I wanted to prove myself, I would start working hard on food engineering (or whatever) and become the best food engineer at my university, and then go to the US for grad school in some kind of engineering.

Last edited:
moontiger said:
Over the course of my career, which included teaching and mentoring many students, I observed that a bright and motivated student will find a way to shine wherever he or she lands.

This is a bit of a vague statement, I'll add to it by saying, always be excellent in whatever you do. Be excellent but if something is not right, be prepared to move on. Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap of holding back, this never works. Whatever your job title is, own it.

moontiger said:
What many people don't realize is that there is actually a lot of overlap, at the research/PhD level, between physics, applied mathematics, and many branches of engineering, with people often moving between departments and fields.

How smooth can this transition be? For example,even if I get into say genetic engineering at a very good uni,and I still have the inclination for physics/maths,I could transition into that only if I was an excellent student and I already had the knowledge of physics/maths to demonstrate to them how good I can be,right? Is it possible changing your field entirely or better making those two fields interdisciplinary?

My second question is,I am trying to learn the foundations of physics,maths and programming together. Even if I could transition later,I would need to have a proper grasp of these subjects considering how programming is needed everywhere(and also I have the desire to learn it),and physics,maths go hand in hand. Now,at this stage,where my foundations are not strong,I have decided to start studying Resnick,Halliday and Walker for physics. I have no clear plans on how I should start learning these subjects together so that I have a strong foundation? Could you suggest me how should I start? Book suggestions could be helpful too. (Assuming I am aiming for MIT,Princeton for graduate school,. i.e. that kind of knowledge)

This will be in addition to food engineering subjects I will be studying,but I believe knowing physics and maths to a great level side by side will help me really understand how the world works(my goal in life ultimately) and of course,will be my ticket to working in the best way I can in some of the best intellectual atmospheres in some of the best universities in the world.

Last edited:
shataqshi said:
How smooth can this transition be? For example,even if I get into say genetic engineering at a very good uni,and I still have the inclination for physics/maths,I could transition into that only if I was an excellent student and I already had the knowledge of physics/maths to demonstrate to them how good I can be,right? Is it possible changing your field entirely or better making those two fields interdisciplinary?

Usually interdisciplinary and easiest done during grad school though I've seen people do it at later stages very successfully. You find either a mathematically inclined engineer, or a former physicist who has switched to systems biology, neuroscience, or another field (there are plenty) and choose that person as an advisor, and yes you will need some basic coursework in technical subjects. One of the reasons it's better to be interdisciplinary is that the job prospects are much better in other fields, which is why the physicists left in the first place.

My second question is,I am trying to learn the foundations of physics,maths and programming together. Even if I could transition later,I would need to have a proper grasp of these subjects considering how programming is needed everywhere(and also I have the desire to learn it),and physics,maths go hand in hand. Now,at this stage,where my foundations are not strong,I have decided to start studying Resnick,Halliday and Walker for physics. I have no clear plans on how I should start learning these subjects together so that I have a strong foundation? Could you suggest me how should I start? Book suggestions could be helpful too. (Assuming I am aiming for MIT,Princeton for graduate school,. i.e. that kind of knowledge)

This will be in addition to food engineering subjects I will be studying,but I believe knowing physics and maths to a great level side by side will help me really understand how the world works(my goal in life ultimately) and of course,will be my ticket to working in the best way I can in some of the best intellectual atmospheres in some of the best universities in the world.
I don't really understand what food engineering involves, but being engineering it probably involves some engineering classes, right? I'd say take some extra courses in math and applied math while you are in school. Linear algebra, differential equations, that kind of thing, especially if you are interested in genetic engineering/systems biology. Get familiar with MATLAB, possibly as part of these classes.

Try and find someone at your institution to advise you who is familiar with your curriculum and the possibilities.

Last edited:
What about doing a PhD in India, then doing a postdoc at MIT or Princeton or whatever? It may just be my personal observation, but I've seen quite a few postdocs at American universities that did their PhD somewhere else. It's not as if non-MIT or Princeton are garbage universities.

I'm planning to do similarly as well; PhD at a lower ranked but still decent place, then postdoc at one of those places.

Alternatively, you could do a Master's Degree in Math or Physics in the US, do well, then apply to MIT or Princeton, but that might be much more expensive.

moontiger said:
Yes, but not as much as you'd think. Over the course of my career, which included teaching and mentoring many students, I observed that a bright and motivated student will find a way to shine wherever he or she lands. At most, a good school makes it a little easier and gives them more confidence, sometimes more resources, and some connections.

In fact, sometimes it is also good to be a big fish in a small pond. At a big school you will be just one of many outstanding students, whereas at a small school you have less competition and if you put in the same effort you can stand out a lot more.

If I were you and I wanted to prove myself, I would start working hard on food engineering (or whatever) and become the best food engineer at my university, and then go to the US for grad school in some kind of engineering.

I agree with moontiger. Even I am like you. Even i failed to get into top institutes for pursuing physics. Don't lose hope. Your chance of getting into US top schools might be very less. But work hard and prove yourself.

It's almost as if I could have been a different person only if I had gone to the right place.

That's life. This is one of the reasons I resent U.S. education (K-12). Everything is focused on the lower performing students while the higher performing students get upper bounded. Once you get to college where they can teach you an entire math class in eight weeks, you can't help but look back and say "Wow, did I really spend several years of my life learning how to multiply?"

Over the course of my career, which included teaching and mentoring many students, I observed that a bright and motivated student will find a way to shine wherever he or she lands.

There's a Malcolm in the Middle episode where Reese is going to get put in remedial class if he doesn't pass his next test, so Malcolm takes it for him. He still gets an F (the teacher is out to get him). Lois then threatens to expose him, but he points out that if she does that, Malcolm will get expelled for cheating.

"Mr. Woodward: I don't see why you would sacrifice the good son for, well, Reese.
Lois: You don't think I would give this one up? Let me tell you something. I would sell Malcolm down the river in a heartbeat for Reese. Sure, he might have to go to Blue Collar or something, but he'll do fine. Reese is the one who needs saving. "

Serious advice/plan for admission to top Physics/Maths Grad Schools

I am currently studying a Bachelor of Technology in the subject "Food Technology". I have completed 2 years just now.Yes, I have been exposed to Mathematics in my first year of college studying Differential and Integral Calculus,Ordinary Differential Equations,Linear Algebra, Complex Numbers, Vector Calculus,Probability. As for Physics, I have been exposed to courses like Oscillations and Waves, Wave Nature of Light, Special Theory of Relativity, Wave Mechanics, Atomic Physics(typically in the first year). The courses were not so rigorous( I am into an average university). In the 2nd year, we had different physics subjects like Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer. I am now going to be exposed to more Food Subjects from the 3rd Year like Food Engineering and Meats,Poultry etc . This was only to inform you of my current status.

However, I am not really keen on pursuing Food Science in my Post Grad career. I cannot change my course of choice right now,unfortunately. However,for the Post Grad, I have majorly three options in mind, comprising of Maths, Physics, Mechanical Engineering or Computer Science. I know, not a clear goal yet. Out of these, I have been strongly inclining towards Maths/Physics at the moment. Doing Food Technology had never been my goal. Due to a lack of clear focus, I ended up getting bad grades and choosing a course, perhaps not so suitable for me.

I always had an intensely logical approach to everything. Whenever I study Mathematics, I want to delve down into the details of how a particular proof was created. I just lose interest in solving problems when I don't know all the details that went into creating it.I absolutely love the idea of constructing new mathematical models or creating new science, something never known before, not for the sake of getting 'famous', but for the sake for the unlimited intellectual stimulation and satisfaction it would provide me with. Since my college courses weren't so rigorous, I nearly memorized a lot of things very unwillingly and had very good marks in some of the maths/physics subjects, and not so good in some other such subjects. I am truly fascinated by the idea of Astrophysics. Any physics or maths, that helps me understand how the world works, and especially would help me innovate or write a new model after having a thorough read of the earlier established work in "intricate" detail is the best for me. I think of "why's" to every possible maths or physics statement for a very long time. Yet as of today, due to no clear structure, I have not been able to have a firm grasp on the Physics or Maths Fundamentals. I reside in India, and it is not so research driven as countries like U.S.A. with the exception of some premier institutes(which unfortunately I didn't get into, because I was very unsure of what I wanted to do in my life). I have decided I will finally work to the best of my abilities and get strong in the basics. I am not a genius, but I am smart. I believe I can do it. I have been looking at some of the top graduate schools for these programs like MIT,Princeton,Cal tech (you get the idea), but the lack of a proper structure and plan have always lead me in confusion. I know I will love very very intellectually stimulating places, looking at every piece of math or science work , and thinking what lead to this in extreme detail. Also, I would love a place where cutting edge research is done, creating the potential of developing several new innovations that change the future of math or science.

I have also considered the option of integrating food science and physics/maths/mechanical engineering in research to create something challenging and deeply meaningful.

Also,I have always been very very interested in the theoretical maths/physics rather than the applied(attending labs) parts. The lab courses just cannot hold my interest for long.

Now, I know, that on a scale of 1-10, I want to go to 10, and I am currently at 0-1. Would would you suggest I do? How should I prepare? How can I get into such top schools? How can I start at this particular moment? I am open to all useful suggestions. Especially, from people who have experience in such fields. If I don't do this, I will regret not having done this for my whole life. I clearly need help, because I realize that if I don't have a great plan, I won't be able to achieve this. Please take this into consideration. I have about 2 years of college left, what can I do?

Last edited:
As has been said before, you need to major in physics, and to get outstanding grades in this major. However hard it is to change your major, I assure you that it is substantially easier than getting into MIT.

You also need to take action. Asking the same question again and again won't get you where you want to be.

First if you have passion for Physics , start learning it and of course u can't do it without math.

So grab the best books n start reading .You don't need any college seat to read from a book .
For Physics i found Feynman lectures as the best one , you can read them for free here

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

Now according to me you have two routes

Route 1 : Stop your BS in FOOD TECHNOLOGY, take a BS in PHYSICS in India /US/Europe , get highest grades ,if you do college in India try to get 100 percent grades n try to get in touch with professors in Europe/US for internships in their labs ,people have done it ( ok hope is everything, the latest Noble prize winner from India changed to Biology after finishing a PHD in PHYSICS ,He took a graduate course as he later came to know his interest in life was Biology)

from wikipedia " immediately after graduation he moved to the U.S.A., where he obtained his PhD degree in Physics from Ohio University in 1976.[7][8] He then spent two years studying biology as a graduate student at the University of California, San Diego while making a transition from theoretical physics to biology."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venkatraman_Ramakrishnan

And than try for Graduate schools in US . ur profile wud weigh if u wud have good grades , a good project work , and super The Letter of reccommendation from your professors ( preferably u sud do BS in PHYSICS from US , i have less idea abt US BS /Europe ,in Europe tuition fees is around 500 Euros in Germany per semester that's not high )

Route 2 ) Try a master in physics from Europe ,most colleges admit BS in Engineering , u have to enquire abt whether Food Tech Engineering wud also b included , ( Here is the hack , the thing in Germany i have seen , the master in Physics enrollment is almost nill , colleges are struggling to find students ,Outstanding Physics professors are really without students in BS/MS courses,which is so painful to see , All students opt for Engineering , so u have a fair chance to get in Master in Physics ) Get outstanding grades n outstanding Master thesis

Again Fees in Germany is 500 Euros per semester which is even less than many Indian colleges , Indian banks provide study loans for expenses , and fees ,generally the master is for 1.5 year and half year for thesis .

my friend was in Finland he told me the fees is even less in Finland
( I have done Masters in Mechatronics from Europe, which i regret like your BS , I know it is easy to get admission in MaSTER course in Physics there , of course it does not mean getting the holy grail , finally your hard work , pereservance n Habits to solve puzzles, not giving up attitude ( u can develop them) wud matter only , )
. I don’t know whether Indian colleges do admit Non BS Physcis people or not ( As they follow so many thing OLD British rules which even UK doesn't follow , still in every walk of life here , I am sorry ) Even if you are admitted the level of research wud not be that great in Masters , I wud not advice for doing master in India

Than Try for PHD in European Universities/Graduate Schools in US,CANADA
P.S.- Getting into Decent college is practical after looking the present conditions you have , overall if you do good PHD work in a decent college , MNCs /companies would see u with the same glass as they wud with MITians,Caltech And if you still will want to continue in research after PHD i am sure MIT ,CALTECH would definitely look at your most recent accomplishments in giving you some project.

You are really lucky that u realize very early abt this.

Finaly what matters is of course your passion for Physics , if you think you have it in you , College does not matter that much. And of course as above Mentor has said asking same question again n again won't help much. I have been in ur steps and asked too much questions wether i sud go for Physics or Engineering to many rather than just following my interest in physics.

Last edited:

1. What are the minimum requirements for admission to graduate schools like MIT and Princeton for physics and mathematics?

The minimum requirements for admission to graduate schools like MIT and Princeton for physics and mathematics typically include a bachelor's degree in a related field, a strong GPA (usually above 3.5), competitive GRE scores, and letters of recommendation. Some schools may also require a statement of purpose, research experience, and/or relevant coursework.

2. How important are standardized test scores for admission to graduate schools like MIT and Princeton for physics and mathematics?

Standardized test scores, such as the GRE, are an important factor in the admissions process for graduate schools like MIT and Princeton for physics and mathematics. However, they are not the only factor and are usually considered alongside other components such as GPA, letters of recommendation, and research experience.

3. What types of research experience are preferred for admission to graduate schools like MIT and Princeton for physics and mathematics?

Graduate schools like MIT and Princeton for physics and mathematics typically prefer research experience in a related field, such as a research internship or independent research project. This experience can demonstrate your ability to conduct independent research and contribute to the scientific community.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in both physics and mathematics to be admitted to graduate schools like MIT and Princeton?

While having a strong background in both physics and mathematics can be beneficial for admission to graduate schools like MIT and Princeton, it is not always necessary. Admissions committees typically look for a strong foundation in one or both of these subjects, as well as the potential to excel in graduate-level coursework and research.

5. How can I stand out in the admissions process for graduate schools like MIT and Princeton for physics and mathematics?

To stand out in the admissions process for graduate schools like MIT and Princeton for physics and mathematics, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant research experience, and compelling letters of recommendation. Additionally, demonstrating a passion for your chosen field through extracurricular activities, relevant coursework, and a well-written statement of purpose can help you stand out among other applicants.