Controls VS. Communications (EE)

In summary, Don said that the fields are pretty different and that he is not sure if communications is easier for self-study. DLX said that she is going to go with Controls and Robotics because it is a generalized field that can be used to explain (on a more general level) a variety of other fields. Lastly, everyone said that they will go with their field of interest.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hey all. I will get straight to the point. I am about to get into graduate school and I have the option to choose between Controls & Robotics OR Communication & Signal Processing. I am kind of not sure what to pursue, the reason is because I feel if I choose one I will unfortunately lose the opportunity to learn the other. I have just recently become interested in HAM radio, which coincides with "Communication and Signal Processing." But I also loved my controls class I took as an undergraduate (also who doesn't love robotics). I have heard that as a Controls major it would be easier to find a job. I feel Communication and Signal Processing is easier to self study than Controls, if that is the case then I think I should go for Controls, but I am not sure of this...

What should I consider? Any ideas? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Likes 1 person
At least at my company there are more communication and signal processing jobs...

That being said I'm sure there are plenty of jobs in both disciplines. I would go with the field you are more passionate about.

Likes 1 person
I agree with Don. The fields are pretty different. Which one excites you more? I'm not sure I agree communications is easier for self-study. Once you get beyond the basics the math gets really hairy.

Likes 1 person
Thank you all for the replies... I haven't decided yet, and I have to choose soon. I'm thinking that Communication and Signal Processing is a larger field, so maybe better for me? Do the two fields overlap at some point?

There is always some overlap but in this case communications is restricted to electrical/electronic circuitry whereas control is a much more generalized field as control systems cut across branches.

Likes 1 person
DLX said:
There is always some overlap but in this case communications is restricted to electrical/electronic circuitry whereas control is a much more generalized field as control systems cut across branches.

I will go with Controls and Robotics. As DLX pointed out it is a generalized field that can be used to explain (on a more general level) a variety of other fields.

Also going through the course list for each field kind of helped me out. Thanks again to everyone.

1. What is the difference between controls and communications in electrical engineering?

Controls in electrical engineering refer to the systems and components that regulate and manipulate the behavior of electrical or electronic devices. This includes mechanisms such as switches, relays, and sensors. On the other hand, communications in electrical engineering involve the transmission and reception of information between devices using various methods, such as wires, radio waves, or optical signals.

2. How do controls and communications work together in electrical engineering?

In many electrical engineering applications, controls and communications work hand in hand. Controls are used to adjust and regulate the behavior of devices, while communications allow for the exchange of information between these devices. For example, in a smart home system, controls may be used to adjust the temperature of a room, while communications allow for the thermostat to communicate with the central heating system.

3. Can controls and communications be used interchangeably in electrical engineering?

No, controls and communications cannot be used interchangeably in electrical engineering. While they both play important roles in the functioning of devices and systems, they serve different purposes and require different components and techniques. Attempting to use controls for communication or vice versa can result in malfunction or failure.

4. What are some examples of controls and communications in electrical engineering?

Examples of controls in electrical engineering include dimmer switches, thermostats, and motor speed controllers. Examples of communications in electrical engineering include Ethernet cables, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth. Other examples of controls and communications can be found in various electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and home appliances.

5. How has the field of controls and communications in electrical engineering evolved?

The field of controls and communications in electrical engineering has evolved significantly over the years. With advancements in technology, new and more efficient control and communication systems have been developed. For example, the use of microcontrollers has revolutionized the field of controls by allowing for more precise and complex control systems. In terms of communications, the development of wireless technology has greatly expanded the range and capabilities of communication systems.