Continuing Study Physic in Germany

In summary, the person is asking about studying in Germany due to financial crisis and wanting to study German in their home country before applying to a university in Germany. They also ask about the possibility of moving to Germany to learn the language through immersion and mention their understanding that many classes at German universities are taught in English. Additionally, they inquire about the ease of obtaining a visa for studying in Germany and if their financial difficulties would negatively affect a visa interview. They apologize for asking many questions and explain that they believe the person may have knowledge on the topic due to their interactions with international students. Someone else also adds that in their experience, many graduate level physics courses in Cologne and Bonn are taught in English and that language courses are provided for international students
Alice3105
Hi,

I have many questions to ask you.

Due to financial crisis in my family, I am unable to continue studying in Canada. However, I insist on studying Physic in Germany. Therefore, I want to come back to my homeland, Vietnam, and spend a year to study German. Do you think it necessary?

Since I graduated from high school in Canada, will it be easier for me to apply for a University in German? (Because I searched the website of University of Leipzig, and many required courses I have already taken in high school)

Because my friend's German visa has been declined as she wanted to travel to German to attend her sister's wedding. So, is it easier to get a visa if you travel to Germany to study?

Do you think my discontinuity due to financial crisis be a bad impression in a visa interview?

I am sorry for many questions which may seem so irrelevant to ask you. However, I assume that you may have interacted with many international students and thus you may have some knowledge about this.

Thank you for taking your time

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you move to Germany to learn the language by immersion? It's more efficient than standard classroom learning.

Also, it's my understanding that many classes at German universities teach in English - can any PFers confirm this?

lisab said:
Also, it's my understanding that many classes at German universities teach in English - can any PFers confirm this?

I cannot say if this is true in general (and I expect it is not), but here in Cologne (and in Bonn, as well) the language of instruction at the graduate level (for physics) is English. Furthermore, the graduate school pays for its international students to take German language courses if they so desire.

1. What are the requirements for studying physics in Germany?

The general requirements for studying physics in Germany include a high school diploma or equivalent, proficiency in the German language, and a strong background in mathematics and science. Some universities may also require a specific grade point average or entrance exam.

2. How long does it take to complete a physics degree in Germany?

The standard length of a physics degree in Germany is typically 3 years for a Bachelor's degree and 2 years for a Master's degree. However, this may vary depending on the specific university and program.

3. What are the top universities in Germany for studying physics?

Some of the top universities for studying physics in Germany include Technical University of Munich, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Heidelberg University, and Humboldt University of Berlin.

4. Is it possible to work while studying physics in Germany?

Yes, it is possible to work while studying physics in Germany. International students are allowed to work up to 120 full days or 240 half days per year. However, it is important to check the specific regulations and restrictions of each university and program.

5. Are there any scholarships available for international students studying physics in Germany?

Yes, there are several scholarships available for international students studying physics in Germany. Some examples include the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) scholarships, the Erasmus+ program, and scholarships offered by individual universities. It is recommended to research and apply for scholarships as early as possible.