Letter of Rec 2 years after doing research with a prof?

In summary, the speaker is concerned about whether a professor from a previous REU program will remember them after two years and be able to write a letter of recommendation for their PhD applications. The listener suggests reminding the professor of their experience and providing a CV/resume as a refresher, and the speaker plans to write a bio to help jog the professor's memory.
Hercuflea
By the time I apply for PhD's, it will have been 2 years since I did my REU over the summer in a plasma physics lab. Do you think the Prof will still remember me at all and/or be able to write a letter for me? He has already written me letters for other stuff so I know he'd probably be willing to write one, but after 2 years I don't know if he'll even remember enough about me to write anything substantial.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then you should remind him! Give him the highlights of your experience and send him your CV/resume. Also, he should have a copy of the old letters still, he can use those to refresh his memory.

ModusPwnd said:
Then you should remind him! Give him the highlights of your experience and send him your CV/resume. Also, he should have a copy of the old letters still, he can use those to refresh his memory.

Thanks, I will definitely do that. Maybe I can write up a little bio about the summer and what I did to refresh his memory.

1. Can I still ask for a letter of recommendation 2 years after working with a professor?

Yes, it is acceptable to ask for a letter of recommendation 2 years after working with a professor. However, it is important to consider if the professor will still remember you and your work well enough to write a strong letter of recommendation.

2. How should I request a letter of recommendation from a professor I worked with 2 years ago?

It is best to email or schedule a meeting with the professor to discuss your request. Be sure to remind them of your work together and provide any relevant materials, such as your resume or a summary of your research project. It is also helpful to give the professor ample time to write the letter, as they may have other commitments.

3. Is it better to get a letter of recommendation from a recent professor or one I worked with 2 years ago?

It is generally recommended to get a letter of recommendation from a recent professor, as they will have a more current and detailed understanding of your abilities and achievements. However, if the professor you worked with 2 years ago is able to write a strong and relevant letter, it may still be a valuable addition to your application.

4. What should I do if the professor I worked with 2 years ago is no longer at the same institution?

You can still reach out to the professor and request a letter of recommendation. They may still be willing to write one for you, especially if you had a strong working relationship. If the professor is no longer reachable, you can also consider reaching out to other faculty members or supervisors who may be able to speak to your skills and experience.

5. Do I need to provide the professor with a template or guidelines for the letter of recommendation?

It is not necessary to provide the professor with a template or specific guidelines for the letter of recommendation. However, you can provide them with some information about the program or position you are applying for, so they can tailor the letter to highlight relevant skills and experiences. It is also helpful to provide the professor with a deadline and any necessary submission instructions.