How do I succeed in math on my own?

In summary, the best approach for learning math on your own is to use resources like Khan Academy and Physics Forums, and to do problems.
Hierophant
Right now, I am left to my own devices in that I have to build math skills quite rapidly in the next few months as my local schools are on strike and I am not able to sign up for online school or community college.

What is the best approach for learning math on my own?

I have prealgebra down, that's it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have some money, go onto eBay (probably UK site) and look for course materials for a course entitled 'MU123 Discovering Mathematics'.

You will find it all designed for students learning at a distance i.e. on their own and quite different to standard textbooks which can be quite terse.

I believe it does not assume any knowledge of algebra.

You are ready to study "Algebra 1" now, even if you do this on your own. You can ask for help on Physicsforums, and also on other websites. Find a good used book to learn from, such as maybe written by Aufmann and Barker. If it is written for community college students, that's fine. The material is the same, regardless if targeting high schooler's or c.c. students.

Have a look here at coolmath.com, go through the pre-algebra and algebra sections as quickly as you can, don't get stuck anywhere but just rush through it, get a little bit of everything. Repeat each day until you know it.

You could follow this with more advanced stuff but not yet.

PS. If a topic is too difficult, just skip over it; as you learn more, it'll become easier. This is what I mean by rush through it, if something is too complicated, leave it for later and move on.

Last edited:
I would get a college textbook. They can be found for 5 dollars on amazon

Good advice so far. To chime in my $0.02 - do problems. Drill yourself with problems. And you will learn it :$.

Likes 1 person
Khan Academy?

http://maths.mq.edu.au/numeracy/consolidated_mums/module1/module1.pdf
http://maths.mq.edu.au/numeracy/consolidated_mums/module2/module2.pdf

If you don't have much time, here's some material on pre-algebra and algebra that you can go through pretty fast. The problems give you quite a stretch, so it could serve you as a way to ultimately check if you understand the material well. Sort of a final test.

Although, of course, there aren't so many problems, and it's always better to do as much as you can.

PS Maybe it goes through the topics too rapidly, though, but you'll see if that can work out for you.

Last edited:
I love physics forum. Very helpful comments guys, helping me out quite a bit :)

Oh and by the way, keep them coming!

I will defeat math, mark my words!

1. How can I improve my understanding of math concepts?

To succeed in math on your own, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts. One way to achieve this is by practicing regularly and actively engaging with the material. You can also try breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts and seeking help from online resources or a tutor if needed.

2. What are some good study strategies for mastering math?

Some effective study strategies for math include creating a study schedule, reviewing notes and past assignments regularly, and actively participating in class. It can also be helpful to work on practice problems and seek help from classmates or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept.

3. How do I stay motivated when studying math on my own?

Staying motivated can be a challenge when studying math on your own. One way to stay motivated is by setting achievable goals and rewarding yourself when you reach them. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the importance of math and how it can benefit you in your future endeavors.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a math problem?

If you find yourself stuck on a math problem, it is important to stay calm and not get frustrated. Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try looking for similar problems or using different methods to solve it. If you are still struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

5. How can I track my progress in math on my own?

Tracking your progress is essential for success in math. You can keep track of your grades and progress on assignments and tests. Additionally, you can create a study journal to keep track of the concepts you have mastered and the ones you still need to work on. Regularly reviewing your progress can also help you identify any areas that need additional attention.