CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae, 30th Edition

In summary, the book "CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae" is a valuable reference for those in the science field. It includes a wealth of information, but assumes a certain level of knowledge in calculus. The latest edition may have some corrections, but it is not urgent to have the newest version. Prior to calculators, the book contained tables of logs and trig functions, but those sections have been replaced with more relevant material. It is recommended to compare the table of contents of different editions and choose the one that best meets your needs.
z-component
CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae (30th Edition)
by Daniel Zwillinger

Does anyone have any recommendations for this text?

Thank you. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.Mighty good.I got the 31-st edition :tongue:

It's really worth it.I mean,it's in the same league with Morse & Feshbach and Gradshteyn & Rytzhik.

Daniel.

Yes recommend. Very useful.

Thanks for the recommendations. Some follow-up questions:

1) Is a good knowledge of calculus required to get the most out of this book, and if so, how much of it can be understood without calculus?

2) Which is better overall, edition 30 or 31?

I don't know for the second question...Usually the latest edition has the advantage that some errors (if they were) in the previous edition would have been corrected.

Nope,it's more than a reference with a great deal of numerical tables.But knowledge of calculus didn't hurt nobody ...:wink:

Daniel.

Sounds great! I am going to buy it. :approve:

Thanks. :smile:

About half of it requires knowledge of calculus.

First of all this would not be what I consider a "text book". It is a reference book, it contains a wealth of information but assumes a lot. A good portion of the book is devoted to the integral and differential tables, without knowledge of Calculus these are pretty much useless. But there is a lot useful information outside of those sections. HOWEVER, as I stated above, this is NOT a text, there is often little or no explaniation of the meaning of a table or formula, you are supposed to know. So if you do not have some level of knowledge of this is not a book to learn from. It is a great place to go if you need a quick referance, I use mine frequently.

What integral said. Everybody who's in and around science needs to have a copy of some edition, but I don't think it's urgent to have the latest edition.

BTW, Mine is a 27th edition. I have had it for nearly 20yrs. somewhere in the 70's there was a major change in the content of the Math Tables. Prior to calculators the main content, along with the differential and integral tables where tables of logs and the trig functions. These actually made up a significant portion of the book, since those tables have become unnecessary they have added more material to other sections. If you have 2 different editions available you may want to compare the table of contents to see if they have different sections. Choose the one which most meets your needs. I doubt that there will be much difference.

1. What is the purpose of CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae?

CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae is a comprehensive reference book that contains a wide range of mathematical tables, formulas, and other useful information for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians. Its main purpose is to provide a quick and reliable source of mathematical data and formulas for solving various scientific and engineering problems.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae is primarily scientists, engineers, and mathematicians who require quick access to accurate mathematical data and formulas. However, it can also be a useful resource for students, teachers, and anyone else who needs to perform mathematical calculations in their work or studies.

3. How is the information organized in this book?

The information in CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae is organized into different sections, each covering a specific topic such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. Within each section, the tables and formulas are arranged in a logical and easy-to-use format, with clear explanations and examples provided where necessary.

4. Is this book updated regularly?

Yes, CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae is updated regularly to ensure that it contains the most current and accurate information. The 30th edition, which was published in 2020, includes the latest updates and additions to the tables and formulas.

5. Can this book be used as a replacement for a calculator or computer program?

No, this book should not be used as a replacement for a calculator or computer program. While it contains a vast amount of mathematical data and formulas, it is still important to use appropriate tools and software for complex calculations. This book can be used as a supplement to these tools, providing quick and reliable reference information.