Good A-level mathematics textbooks?

In summary, the speaker is planning to take a technical direction in computer animation course at university next year, but is unable to attend this year due to funding. They are currently using a 1990 edition of the textbook 'Core Maths for A-Level' borrowed from their local college, but are looking for newer material. They are seeking recommendations for good textbooks that cover a broad range of material and enjoy the subject. They have come across a website with example questions, but are unsure of the new module changes. Other suggestions include the Heinemann series and OCR course books.
GregA
I plan to do a 'technical direction in computer animation' course at uni next year for which A-level mathematics is required to enter at year one (was meant to be going this year but can't get funding :frown: )

The textbook 'Core Maths for A-Level' (1990 edition) I'm studying from at the moment has been kindly lent to me by the maths department of my local college. It's an excellent book but I have to give it back soon, and I think I'm missing out on a quite a bit of newer material.

Does anyone know of any damn good textbooks that are worth investing in? I want to have as broad a knowledge as possible not because I feel I have to...but because I enjoy the subject.

(most of the books I see in local bookshops are the kind of revision books that don't deal with proofs, and expect you've already covered the material but need refreshing...I've done a search on amazon.com and the latest version of the book I'm using now is about 200 pages shorter...which worries me a little)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can suggest I really good website that has good example questions and stuff: http://www.mathsnet.net/asa2/2004/index.html

But in the short time it has been since I've done A-level they've changed all the modules around and I've no idea what's what anymore.

I found the Heinemann series of A-level maths textbooks for the Edexcel courses to be really good. The modules have been fiddled with since, but the maths is still the same! :smile:

cheers for the help and quick replies folks :smile:

Last edited:
We had the OCR course books (each one specificially for each module) when I did my A-Levels. Back then, they went as far as P1-P4, S1-S4, D1, so if you're looking at further maths you might be caught short, or there may be more now. They're good as they've got targetted exercises too.

Cheers James :smile: ...gonna hafta look further afield than amazon.com though cos they don't seem to stock all the books in a set :frown:

if anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to chip in :biggrin:

What makes a good A-level mathematics textbook?

A good A-level mathematics textbook should have clear and concise explanations of mathematical concepts, plenty of worked examples and practice problems, and a variety of difficulty levels to challenge students. It should also have a well-organized structure and use appropriate language for the target audience.

What are some recommended A-level mathematics textbooks?

Some highly recommended A-level mathematics textbooks include "Pure Mathematics" by G.W. Parry, "A-Level Mathematics" by Hugh Neill and Douglas Quadling, and "Advanced Level Mathematics: Pure Mathematics 1" by Hugh Neill and Douglas Quadling. These textbooks have been praised for their comprehensive coverage of A-level mathematics topics and their clear explanations.

Do A-level mathematics textbooks follow a specific curriculum?

Yes, A-level mathematics textbooks generally follow the curriculum set by the examining board, such as Edexcel, AQA, or OCR. However, some textbooks may have additional topics or different ordering of topics, so it's important to check the curriculum before choosing a textbook.

Are there any online resources that can supplement A-level mathematics textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive quizzes that can supplement A-level mathematics textbooks. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MathIsFun, and Corbettmaths.

How can I choose the best A-level mathematics textbook for my needs?

When choosing an A-level mathematics textbook, consider your learning style, the exam board you're studying under, and the topics you struggle with the most. It may also be helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from teachers or peers. Additionally, many textbooks offer sample chapters or online resources, so you can get a feel for the content before making a decision.