Health Benefits of Drinking Urine: Myth or Reality?

• Thread starter mezeb40
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Health
In summary, drinking one's own urine is a practice that has been followed by some individuals in India, including Ghandi and Nehru. While some claim that it has health benefits, such as being a cure for various ailments, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims. In fact, drinking urine can introduce waste products back into the body and is not a recommended method for improving health. It should only be considered as a last resort in extreme situations.
mezeb40
I have heard that it is healthy to drink some of your own urine every day. Apparently its an idea from India practised by Ghandi,Nehru among others.Is this a myth? Whats would happen if you did.

Biology news on Phys.org
I think urine is used in antiseptics sometimes

Drinking carrot juice is also said to improve your health. That doesn't make it taste any good, though.

Well in a healthy individual, the urine is sterile and acidic. I guess you could use it as a mouthwash :uhh:

Urine contains your body's waste products. Why would you want to reingest that? It makes no sense.

Little makes sense to someone on the fly agaric :biggrin:

Who's told you that? :yuck: By the way, I think even if it was true, no one ...:uhh:

Very intersting article!:bugeye: Thank you very much. But hey how can we make sure it's not a practical joke? Anyway I'm not going to...:uhh: :yuck:

Many advocates claim that urine is a panacea. There is practically nothing it won't cure... It is said to deter againg and is helpful with AIDS, allergies,
:eek: :yuck:

With such wondrous properties, it is amazing that science bothered developing medicine when it had the key to good health already in the bottle, so to speak. Each of us is a walking pharmacopoeia.
:rofl:

PS: I'm afraid but I couldn't use tongue smilies in this post.:rolleyes:

I think the last paragraph sums that urine is not the best way to get a healthy drink

For most people most of the time, one's own urine is not likely to be harmful. However, it is not likely to be healthful or useful except for those rare occasions when one is buried beneath a building or lost at sea for a week or two. In such situations drinking one's own urine might be the difference between life and death. As a daily tonic, there are much tastier ways to introduce healthful products into one's blood stream.

People in foreign underdevelped worlds are idiots when it comes to science, however I admire their faith and culture.

Again generalization!

iansmith said:
I think the last paragraph sums that urine is not the best way to get a healthy drink
Let's be hopeful everyone get into the last paragraph. Some people get too excited when it comes to healthy drink and panacea that they immediately want to give it a try!:yuck:

1. Is drinking urine safe for human consumption?

There is no scientific evidence to support the health benefits of drinking urine. In fact, urine is mostly made up of waste products and toxins that the body is trying to get rid of. Consuming urine can lead to dehydration and potentially harmful bacterial infections. It is not recommended as a safe practice.

2. Does drinking urine have any nutritional value?

Urine is mostly made up of water, electrolytes, and waste products. It does not contain any significant amount of nutrients that the body needs for optimal health. In fact, drinking urine can lead to electrolyte imbalances and nutrient deficiencies.

3. Can drinking urine cure illnesses or diseases?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that drinking urine can cure illnesses or diseases. In fact, relying on urine as a cure can delay proper medical treatment and potentially worsen the condition.

4. Are there any potential risks or side effects of drinking urine?

Drinking urine can lead to dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, and potential bacterial infections. It can also have a negative impact on the body's natural detoxification processes and may cause harm to the kidneys and other organs in the long term.

5. Are there any cultures or traditions that promote drinking urine for health benefits?

There are some cultures and traditions that promote drinking urine as a health practice, but there is no scientific evidence to support its effectiveness. In fact, the World Health Organization has warned against the potential health risks associated with consuming urine.