Using Kirchhoff's Laws to find current in a circuit

In summary, the students are unhappy with the use of "... it can be shown that ...", because it's misleading, and they feel like they're being asked questions that they've never covered.
klandestine
I have attached a picture of a circuit. I am trying to find the values of I1, I2, and I3.

What I have come up with so far, using Kirchhoff's Voltage and Junction Laws is:

I2=I1+I3

for the left loop:
9V - (5 ohms)I1 -4V - (10 ohms)I2 = 0
which simplifies to:
1V - (1 ohm)I1 - (2 ohms)I2 = 0

for the right loop:
14V - (10 ohms)I3 -4V - (10 ohms)I2 = 0
which simplifies to:
1V - (1 ohm)I3 - (1 ohm)I2 = 0

I am pretty certain that I have these correct, but I can't seem to solve my system of equations--whenever I try to add or subtract the equations, several terms cancel, leaving me with a current equaling zero.

I would really appreciate some help. Thank you. :!)

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,304
Physics news on Phys.org
You have three eqns and three unknowns.

The eqn you're not using is,

I2 = I1 + I3

substitute.

I did have that equation. It is the first equation I listed on my first post. I tried to substitute using it, but too much keeps cancelling.

These are your eqns, yes

[tex]I_2 = I_1 + I_3[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{left loop: }\ I_1 + 2I_2 = 1[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{right loop: }\ I_3 + I_2 = 1[/tex]

They should simply work out. Since I2 is common to both the 2nd and 3rd eqn, you should substitute for I2 in these two eqns.
If you did that and it's still not coming out, could you show your working ?

Are you using matrix notation for this problem?

Substituting gives these two equations:

3I1+2I3=1

I1+2I3=1

The problem is when I try to subtract these equations I get:

2I1=0

How can the current be zero?

One way is to have two equal batteries hooked up such that their potentials are opposed to each other, then you will get zero current.

I got zero current as well for I1

Thank you Fermat.

I guess I was doing the problem right all along, I just didn't trust myself.

Fermat said:
[tex]\mbox{left loop: }\ I_1 + 2I_2 = 1[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{right loop: }\ I_3 + I_2 = 1[/tex]
just curious, how did you determine these equations?

Using Kirchoff's laws.

Here's a brief explanation of them.

If you look at Klandestine's 1st post, you wiil see that my eqns are just a simplification of his work.

Thanks, you're 3rd line explains what you did, reduced the first two equations by a common divisor. (I didn't notice Klandestine did that too). This reminds of some texts we had that said thus, we have these expressions! :biggrin: and assumed we knew their intermediate steps. Have you ever seen some of those?
Without your reduction, I used klandestine's original equations and arrived at the same solution. Oh, yeah, I am familiar with good ol' http://chem.ch.huji.ac.il/~eugeniik/history/kirchhoff.htm ..:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouabache said:
... It reminds of some texts we had that said thus, we have these expressions! :biggrin: and assumed we knew their intermediate steps. Have you ever seen some of those? ...
Only too well.
The phrase that's currently in vogue over here is "... it can be shown that ..."
I'll be taking a new maths course soon, and I've been following the online forum for current students of this course. One of their big complaints is how often that phrase occurs. And another is how they are asked questions which relate to material that they have never covered.

1. What are Kirchhoff's Laws?

Kirchhoff's Laws, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, are fundamental principles in electrical circuits that govern the flow of current and voltage. These laws state that the sum of currents entering a node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

2. How do Kirchhoff's Laws help in finding current in a circuit?

Kirchhoff's Laws provide a systematic approach to analyzing complex circuits and determining the values of current and voltage at different points. By applying these laws to a circuit, we can create a set of equations that can be solved to find the unknown currents in the circuit.

3. What is the procedure for using Kirchhoff's Laws to find current in a circuit?

The first step is to identify all the nodes and loops in the circuit. Then, we can apply Kirchhoff's Current Law at each node and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law in each loop to create a system of equations. Finally, we can solve these equations using techniques such as substitution or elimination to find the unknown currents.

4. Can Kirchhoff's Laws be used for both series and parallel circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Laws can be applied to both series and parallel circuits. In a series circuit, the current is the same at all points and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law is used to find the voltage drops across each component. In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across all components and Kirchhoff's Current Law is applied to find the currents in each branch.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchhoff's Laws to find current in a circuit?

Kirchhoff's Laws assume ideal conditions in a circuit, such as no resistance in wires and perfect voltage sources. In real-world circuits, there may be non-ideal components that can affect the accuracy of the results obtained using Kirchhoff's Laws. Additionally, Kirchhoff's Laws cannot be used to calculate the behavior of circuits with non-linear elements, such as diodes or transistors.