Finding the max length of a spring

In summary: So, the pan has to be 5.39 cm from the ceiling for the potential energy to be equal to the kinetic energy of the ball.
DStan27
Spring Force

A massless pan hangs from a spring that is suspended from the ceiling. When empty, the pan is 49 cm below the ceiling. If a 75 g clay ball is placed gently on the pan, the pan hangs 60 cm below the ceiling. Suppose the clay ball is dropped from the ceiling onto an empty pan. What is the pan's distance from the ceiling when the spring reaches its maximum length?
first i did k = .735/.11 = 66.8181
then i used k = mgh/d to find the max length
which was 66.8181 = 3.6015/d and got d = 5.39 but that wasn't the correct answer. can somebody help me with what i am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DStan27 said:
A massless pan hangs from a spring that is suspended from the ceiling. When empty, the pan is 49 cm below the ceiling. If a 75 g clay ball is placed gently on the pan, the pan hangs 60 cm below the ceiling. Suppose the clay ball is dropped from the ceiling onto an empty pan. What is the pan's distance from the ceiling when the spring reaches its maximum length?
first i did k = .735/.11 = 66.8181
then i used k = mgh/d to find the max length
which was 66.8181 = 3.6015/d and got d = 5.39 but that wasn't the correct answer. can somebody help me with what i am doing wrong?

Why k = mgh/d?

h = 0.49 + d

From the first part of the question, you can determine the spring constant. When the clay ball is just about to hit the pan, what is its kinetic energy? When the spring reaches maximum length, what is the kinetic energy of the clay ball? Zero. So, all the kinetic energy has been converted to spring potential energy. Since you already know the spring constant, can you tell how much it has to extend from its equilibrium position to have a potential energy equal to the kinetic energy of the ball?

What is the maximum length of a spring?

The maximum length of a spring is the point at which it can no longer be stretched without permanently deforming or breaking.

How can I find the maximum length of a spring?

The maximum length of a spring can be found by measuring the length of the spring when it is not under any tension or compression. This is known as the relaxed length. Then, stretch the spring as far as it can go without causing permanent deformation or breaking. The length of the spring at this point is the maximum length.

Why is knowing the maximum length of a spring important?

Knowing the maximum length of a spring is important for determining its durability and safety. It can also help in designing and selecting springs for specific applications, as well as predicting their behavior under different loads and conditions.

What factors can affect the maximum length of a spring?

The maximum length of a spring can be affected by its material, diameter, wire size, and number of coils. The type of loading and frequency of use can also play a role in determining the maximum length.

Is there a formula for calculating the maximum length of a spring?

There is no single formula for calculating the maximum length of a spring, as it can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. However, engineers and designers often use mathematical models and simulations to determine the maximum length for specific spring designs and applications.