Designing Motor Driver Circuit

In summary, the goal is to design a motor driver for a pair of DC motors with a variable input voltage of 0v-3.3v. When the input voltage is half, the motor should stop and when it is above 1.6v it should go forward, while below 1.6v it should go backward. The suggested solution is to use PWM to control the direction and speed of the motors. One option is to use a window comparator and two op amps to vary the voltage potential on each side of the motor. Another option is to generate PWM signals using a triangle wave and a DC voltage level. The output of the comparator circuit can then be used to control the polarity of the PWM signal going to the
tkulchaw
Hey, I'm looking for some ideas how to design a motor driver for a pair of DC motors. They have a input variable voltage of 0v-3.3v. When the input voltage is half (about 1.6v) the motor should stop, but if it is any greater than 1.6v it will go forward, below 1.6 it will go backward. 0v should go backward at full speed, and 3.3v should go forward at full speed. I don't know why, but I am having a real brain fart this morning and am looking for any general ideas, or what blocks i would need to do this (all i have so far is a voltage follower buffer from the power inputs)

The micro would be varying the voltage to control the direction and speed, but would I need to use comparators to do this? I found an H bridge motor driver circuit, but it looks like that is controlled by PWM http://www.societyofrobots.com/schematics_h-bridgedes.shtml

Any input is appreciated"[URL

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
tkulchaw said:
Hey, I'm looking for some ideas how to design a motor driver for a pair of DC motors. They have a input variable voltage of 0v-3.3v. When the input voltage is half (about 1.6v) the motor should stop, but if it is any greater than 1.6v it will go forward, below 1.6 it will go backward. 0v should go backward at full speed, and 3.3v should go forward at full speed. I don't know why, but I am having a real brain fart this morning and am looking for any general ideas, or what blocks i would need to do this (all i have so far is a voltage follower buffer from the power inputs)

The micro would be varying the voltage to control the direction and speed, but would I need to use comparators to do this? I found an H bridge motor driver circuit, but it looks like that is controlled by PWM http://www.societyofrobots.com/schematics_h-bridgedes.shtml

Any input is appreciated"[URL
[/URL]

Yes, you need to use PWM to vary the speed of the motor. Voltage variation is generally ineffective, and is not used. So just have your uC digitize the variable input voltage, and use that to control the PWM polarity and duty cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
i spoke to one of my professors today concerning it, he said that we were meant to try to use a window comparator, and then two op amps to vary the voltage potential on the two sides of the motor (a completely analog solution).

It is a group project that we are making a line following robot, and the different group members have to output and take specified inputs. The specified input I get is a 0-3.3Vdc input. The important part is that my section of the project works stand alone, so that I can simulate inputs and show that my outputs are correct.

I was told that most people get a 2nd micro, and use an ADC to make their own PWM output, and direction bit to control an H bridge, which is most likely what I will fall back on... if i have trouble with the window comparator. Google here I come.

tkulchaw said:
i spoke to one of my professors today concerning it, he said that we were meant to try to use a window comparator, and then two op amps to vary the voltage potential on the two sides of the motor (a completely analog solution).

It is a group project that we are making a line following robot, and the different group members have to output and take specified inputs. The specified input I get is a 0-3.3Vdc input. The important part is that my section of the project works stand alone, so that I can simulate inputs and show that my outputs are correct.

I was told that most people get a 2nd micro, and use an ADC to make their own PWM output, and direction bit to control an H bridge, which is most likely what I will fall back on... if i have trouble with the window comparator. Google here I come.

Sounds like your prof isn't familiar with how to drive DC motors... :rolleyes: or else he is thinking of something that I'm not understanding.

If you would prefer to generate the PWM signals in a more analog fashion, you can use a technique that is used in switching power supply designs often. You can compare a triangle wave against the DC voltage level to give you a varying PWM signal that varies with the DC voltage.

Draw a triangle wave, and then draw some horizontal lines through the tri wave. You can see that the higher the horizontal (DC) voltage is on the tri, the less time the tri is above it. If you square up the comparison of the tri wave and the DC voltage, you can see what kind of PWM waveforms you will get out of the copmarison.

So now you can think of what kind of other circuitry you can add to the output of the tri vs DC comparator circuit, in order to generate the correct polarity PWM signal to your H-bridge motor drive circuit. At least your prof is right that you will need some window comparators... One for high input DC, one for low input DC, and one for the middle window area where you want the motor off...

Can you post a block diagram of such a circuit?

1. What is a motor driver circuit?

A motor driver circuit is an electronic circuit that controls the speed and direction of a motor. It typically consists of a microcontroller, transistors, and other components that regulate the flow of power to the motor.

2. What are the components needed to design a motor driver circuit?

To design a motor driver circuit, you will need a microcontroller, transistors, diodes, resistors, capacitors, and a power source. You may also need additional components depending on the specific requirements of your motor.

3. How do I choose the right motor driver circuit for my project?

When choosing a motor driver circuit, you should consider the voltage and current requirements of your motor, as well as the type of control you need (e.g. speed, direction, torque). You should also consider the capabilities of the microcontroller and make sure it is compatible with your motor.

4. Can I design my own motor driver circuit or should I use a pre-made one?

It is possible to design your own motor driver circuit, but it requires a good understanding of electronics and circuit design. If you are new to designing circuits, it may be easier and more practical to use a pre-made motor driver circuit that is specifically designed for your motor's requirements.

5. How can I protect my motor driver circuit from overheating?

To prevent overheating, make sure to choose appropriate components that can handle the power and current requirements of your motor. You can also add heat sinks or fans to dissipate heat. Additionally, include overcurrent protection in your circuit design to prevent damage to the components in case of a power surge.