Finland #1 in coffee consumption?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary, the United States ranks a lowly #27 in coffee consumption per capita, while Finns drink nearly three times more coffee than Americans. This may be due to the high price and taxes of coffee in the US, as well as the fact that Finland is located above the Arctic Circle.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How can that be? And how can the United States rank a lowly #27 in coffee consumption per capita?! Finns drink nearly three times more coffee than Americans!

I try and try to increase the coffee consumption per capita in the US, but I'm only one person! I can only drink so much coffee!

What is wrong with you people?! (and by people, I mean non-coffee drinking Americans)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coffee_consumption_per_capita

(I always thought Scandinavians were shivering because of the cold, but is it possible they're just jittery because of drinking so much coffee?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe they don't have Starbucks?

Being part Fin, I was my understanding that, tradtionally, there were abour four things to do in Finland in for most of the year: Drink Vodka, drink coffee, play checkers, and look at the snow, and in that order.

We need to find new and innovative ways to sneak coffee into people's food and drink. Starting of course with baby formula. Get em while they're young.

There's a tragic new trend called "tea" that is spreading across America. First only gravely ill people and 80 year olds drank tea. For some reason this drink spread to more Americans who found themselves unable to handle coffee or soda.

Pengwuino said:
There's a tragic new trend called "tea" that is spreading across America. First only gravely ill people and 80 year olds drank tea. For some reason this drink spread to more Americans who found themselves unable to handle coffee or soda.

US isn't good in tea consumption either
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tea_consumption_per_capita

Neither http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_beer_consumption_per_capita" .

P.S. I would also call "tea a new tragic trend :grumpy:

P.S.2 There' atleast one thing US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_dietary_calorie_intake" :rofl:!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what do we drink all day then? Oil?

Ivan Seeking said:
Being part Fin, I was my understanding that, tradtionally, there were abour four things to do in Finland in for most of the year: Drink Vodka, drink coffee, play checkers, and look at the snow, and in that order.

Partly an old wives tale. They drink a lot more alcohol than Americans, but Americans think Canadians drink a lot (Canadians rank #48, while Finland ranks #25, with the US ranking a paltry #57). But both Finland and Canada have good hockey teams - coincidence? You be the judge! Yemen drinks less alcohol than any country in the world and do they have anyone playing in the NHL?

Eastern Europeans drink alcohol. Only Andorra cracks into the block of Eastern European countries at the top of the list (Andorra ranks #7 in alcohol consumption and #4 in median life expectancy). After Andorra, you have to go all the way down to #13 South Korea to get a non-Eastern European country.

Last edited:
I try, Bob. I do my part. But I can't carry the caffeine-load for all the others who choose to take the easy road. Shame on them.

It may also depend on the price and taxes of those goods. Back home in the Caribbean, alcohol is sold way cheaper than the alcohol I've bought here in the USA.

Pengwuino said:
Wow what do we drink all day then? Oil?

Soft drinks. We're #1 in the world in soft drink consumption! We drink 216 liters per person per year (about 3 cans a day) while #2 Ireland only drinks 126 liters per person per year.

Heck, in the US, we even mix soft drinks into our alcohol!

I beat Finland.

I do more than my share to boost US coffee consumption, but I'm half Finnish so it must be in my genes. My students probably joke about never seeing me without a coffee mug in one hand or on the table next to me. I can definitely vouch for the rate of coffee drinking in the "mother country," based on my visits to relatives there. Any time we visit someone there, out comes the coffee pot!

A third of Finland is above the Arctic Circle, so they have to drink coffee to keep their pupils small as protection against those glaring summers.

Wow, get drinkin' you Yanks!

I drink .. probably 3 cups a day on average, sometimes a couple more, rarely less. I used to be a right fiend, but I try to keep it under control these days. Getting up at 4am doesn't help. :S

Need. Coffee.

i don't drink coffeeat all

I am sad that this embarassing truth is out.
We have known since the 80's that Norwegians are outclassed by the Finns, and it was a major blow to our national psyche.

We have borne our shame in secret, but it has now been exposed for all the world to see..:cry:

You guys do have better mountains! :!)

jtbell said:
You guys do have better mountains! :!)

And gloomier woods and colder tarns..

We ought to be no. 1.

arildno said:
We ought to be no. 1.

There are statistics where you undoubtedly lead :tongue:

Borek said:
There are statistics where you undoubtedly lead :tongue:

But not on the one that REALLY matters.

I have had 3 mugs of coffee today, (had 2 just before I went to bed at 2A.M), and I am to get my 4th one now.

What more can I do?

It's only going to get worse. I just quit shift work, so I've dropped from 4 (12 oz) servings a day to 1. Maybe 2 on a bad day.

I'm so ashamed. :frown:

I just got back from Finland, they certainly do drink a lot of coffee, but it was all pretty good coffee too. And it's cheaper than their beer.

1. Why is Finland ranked #1 in coffee consumption?

Finland has a strong coffee culture and drinking coffee is a daily ritual for many Finns. The cold climate in Finland also contributes to the high consumption of coffee, as it is a warm and comforting beverage. Additionally, coffee is easily accessible and affordable in Finland, making it a popular choice for many people.

2. How much coffee does the average Finn consume?

The average Finn consumes about 12 kilograms of coffee per year, which is equivalent to around 5 cups of coffee per day. This is significantly higher than the global average of 1.3 kilograms per year.

3. What are the most popular types of coffee in Finland?

The most popular type of coffee in Finland is filter coffee, which is typically made with a drip coffee machine. Instant coffee is also a popular choice, especially for busy individuals. Espresso-based drinks, such as cappuccinos and lattes, are also gaining popularity in Finland.

4. Does Finland have any unique coffee traditions?

Yes, Finland has a unique coffee tradition called "Kahvilaakso", which translates to "coffee valley". This tradition involves gathering with family and friends to drink coffee and eat pastries, usually on weekends or holidays. It is seen as a way to relax and socialize.

5. Are there any health benefits associated with the high coffee consumption in Finland?

Studies have shown that moderate coffee consumption (3-4 cups per day) can have some health benefits, such as reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes and liver disease. However, excessive coffee consumption can have negative effects on health, so it is important to consume coffee in moderation.