Classical Angular Momentum

In summary, The expression {Li, Lj}=εijkLk can be proven classically by writing Li in terms of qi and pi and using the Levi-Civita symbol and the definition of Poisson bracket. However, using square brackets may be confusing in classical mechanics. To solve this, you can replace Li with a general vector Vi, resulting in the expression {Vi,Lj}=εijkVk.
ssamsymn
[Li,Lj]=εijkLk

how can I prove this expression classically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Classically, L is not an operator, so you cannot define a commutator.

You can show that {Li, Lj}=εijkLk. I don't know if that's what you meant by saying "Classically". If so, just write out Li in terms of qi and pi. If you write the correct expression for it using Levi-Civita symbol and apply definition of Poisson bracket, it should be a trivial matter.

Yes, exactly. Thank you very much. Using square brackets may be confusing in classical mechanics. I figured out to make this with levi civita symbol. But there is another problem I have now. if I replace the Li with some general vector Vi, it should still be hold

{Vi,Lj}=εijkVk

how should I constract a general V vector?

1. What is classical angular momentum?

Classical angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a rigid body or a system of particles. It is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity of the body or system.

2. How is classical angular momentum calculated?

Classical angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that if no external forces act on a system, its angular momentum will remain constant over time.

4. How does angular momentum relate to angular velocity and centripetal force?

Angular momentum is directly proportional to both angular velocity and centripetal force. This means that an increase in either angular velocity or centripetal force will result in an increase in angular momentum, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of classical angular momentum?

Some examples of classical angular momentum in everyday life include a spinning top, a rotating bicycle wheel, and the Earth's rotation around its axis. In each of these cases, the objects have both a moment of inertia and an angular velocity, resulting in non-zero angular momentum.