My hair is turning gray and feels like straw

In summary: I would recommend talking to your doctor to get a diagnosis and to determine if there is anything you can do to address the gray hair.
Kutt
I am a 25 year old male and my hair is starting to turn gray at a rapid pace and it feels like straw.

When I was in my teens, my hair was jet-black and very smooth and shiny, now it looks and feels completely different.

Is this unusual for someone my age?

Biology news on Phys.org
I'd say it's unusual, it could be due to a great variety of things. Stress, vitamin deficiency, genetics, disease, hormones, and other causes could contribute to the change in your hair. You should take the time to examine your lifestyle and maybe see a doctor to address your concern. According to some Googled statistics, about fifty percent of the population in the US has gray hair by the time they reach their fifties anyway.

phion said:
I'd say it's unusual, it could be due to a great variety of things. Stress, vitamin deficiency, genetics, disease, hormones, and other causes could contribute to the change in your hair. You should take the time to examine your lifestyle and maybe see a doctor to address your concern. According to some Googled statistics, about fifty percent of the population in the US has gray hair by the time they reach their fifties anyway.

Should this be happening at 25?

Kutt said:
Should this be happening at 25?
I don't think so, no, but it's usually benign.

My hair started turning slowly gray at 30. As Phion said, that can be attributed to a wide variety of causes.

My advice: try to get rid of anything toxic in your lifestyle and play the "Georges Cloney" card :-)

J.

I have generalized anxiety disorder which is compounded and amplified by severe obsessive compulsive disorder.

Could this have something to do with it?

Kutt said:
I have generalized anxiety disorder which is compounded and amplified by severe obsessive compulsive disorder.

Could this have something to do with it?

The first thing to ask is whether this runs in your family. I'd ask on both sides if there was a relative they remember who had the same thing happen.

I have read, but not confirmed, that people with Welsh ancestry have a proclivity to premature greyness, that this is common in Wales, meaning it's genetic and not the result of diet, stress, etc. You may simply have inherited such a gene.

The got my first gray hairs was when I was 16. Now I'm 62 and it has gotten progressively worse, but still only about 5%. At 16 I was too young to be bothered by this stamp of aging and now I'm too old to pretend that I'm too young for it.

Kutt said:
I am a 25 year old male and my hair is starting to turn gray at a rapid pace and it feels like straw.

When I was in my teens, my hair was jet-black and very smooth and shiny, now it looks and feels completely different.

Is this unusual for someone my age?
It can be perfectly normal. The comedian Steve Martin's hair started turning white in his late 20's.

People can get gray hair at any age. Some people go gray at a young age — as early as when they are in high school or college — whereas others may be in their 30s or 40s before they see that first gray hair. How early we get gray hair is determined by our genes.

http://kidshealth.org/kid/grownup/getting_older/gray_hair.html

Looked in the mirror today and now it looks like I could have a receding hairline.

I hope I don't end up like Bruce Willis and have to permanently shave my head as a solution to balding.

My advice is to not fight the gray. Don't dye your hair - it rarely looks natural. Yeah it kind of bites that it's happening so early. Just focus on things that you can control, like your fitness, your education, your manners, etc.

There are medically effective treatments for balding. But there is nothing unattractive about a shaved head, IMO.

No one is perfect, and sane people don't expect perfection in a mate.

My mother was gray at 25 years old. Family trait, on her side. I have gray temples, but at 61, I don't feel any reason to be concerned about that.

As lisab said, take it in stride. Age gracefully, and you'll be fine.

Go to a doctor, have your liver looked at. Id say get some blood work done too. Hair ans nail health its one good indicator of overall body health

Aero51 said:
Go to a doctor, have your liver looked at. Id say get some blood work done too. Hair ans nail health its one good indicator of overall body health

I had a full physical a few months ago and everything (including blood work) came out normal.

1. Why is my hair turning gray?

As we age, our hair follicles produce less melanin, which is responsible for giving hair its natural color. This results in hair turning gray or white.

2. What causes my hair to feel like straw?

There are several reasons why hair can feel dry and brittle, including excessive heat styling, chemical treatments, and lack of moisture. As we age, our hair also tends to produce less natural oils, which can contribute to a straw-like texture.

3. Can stress contribute to my hair turning gray and feeling like straw?

There is some evidence to suggest that stress can contribute to premature graying of hair. Stress can also affect the health of our hair, making it more prone to dryness and damage.

4. Is there anything I can do to prevent my hair from turning gray and feeling like straw?

While we can't completely prevent our hair from turning gray as we age, there are steps we can take to maintain its health and prevent it from feeling like straw. This includes using gentle hair care products, limiting heat styling, and incorporating moisturizing treatments into our hair care routine.

5. Can certain health conditions cause hair to turn gray and feel like straw?

In some cases, underlying health conditions such as thyroid disorders or vitamin deficiencies can contribute to hair turning gray and feeling dry and brittle. If you are concerned about the health of your hair, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional.