Register to reply

Thermodynamics - evaporator condenser

by James MEng
Tags: condenser, evaporator, thermodynamics
Share this thread:
James MEng
Oct31-13, 04:05 PM
P: 6
Hello - fundamental thermo question which is puzzling me...

It concerns a multiple effect evaporator with condenser. Hot vapour is water, cooling medium is water.

My question stems from the following:
When the flow of cooling water to the condenser is increased, the pressure in the condenser (and thus the pressure profile of the entire evaporator) is reduced.

Here's how I understand it...
  • Heat transfer area of condenser remains constant
  • Overall heat transfer coefficient is increased slightly; given that the Reynolds number on cold side is increased
  • Cooling water temperature out is reduced (assuming heat load is constant and inlet temperature is the same)

How does this in turn lead to a reduction in evaporator pressure, please explain in basic terms (what's actually physically happening rather than just formulae! ).

Thanks in advance for any replies

Edit: Also the mass flow rate of condensate will be the same for a given flow "in" of water and steam. Some thermodynamic activity is occuring here I just cannot work out what!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
Augmented reality helps in industrial troubleshooting
How wireless technology can dramatically improve ship safety

Register to reply