Recommending installing Cygwin for Octave-use

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
In summary: I have dual boot, but there's really no reason for me to use my linux distribution. I use slackware, but mostly just for fun and learning. I'm a much more competent Windows user and there's way less messing with configurations and other admin tasks in Windows.Window's Cisco VPN client is very helpful!
nobahar
Hello!

I am not particularly well-versed in computers but I am interesting in expanding my knowledge.
Basically, I have some familiarity with Matlab (from Uni), and I am interested in similar 'higher-level' numerical programming languages. Matlab is too expensive for a poor-person like myself. Instead, I have been playing around with R and with Octave; after running into some difficulties with Octave I read that it is a Unix-based programme. I found that a Unix-like shell could be put on Windows called Cygwin and I found some websites recommending installing Cygwin for Octave-use. My PC is a 32-bit Vista. I am quite excited at the prospect of using Cygwin; however, I am not sure if there are any issues I am missing. I am the sole user of my PC and happy to play around and learn to use Cygwin.

Are there any issues a newbie should be aware of?, and is it worth installing?
Any help appreciated!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Doesn't MatLab have a special deal for their software for Students? I know they have at least have a trial version...

256bits said:
I was poking around and I found:

There is also Octave Forge, binaries for Octave 3.6.4 for Windows Microsoft Visual Studio
which you might want to look at.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/

Read this:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

and this
http://wiki.octave.org/Octave_for_Windows

I have not tried it, but
apparently approx 200,000 others have.

Thanks, bits. Prior to Cygwin, I downloaded the Windows version, but it didn't run particularly well. It is most probably an error in my downloading of Octave. I tried Cygwin, then Octave and Python through the Cygwin additional packages (in the same installer file), but it didn't go too well, either: I think it involves more computer know-how than I have. For now, it would seem best for me to stick to more familiar set-ups that are more Windows-friendly.

vatzis said:
Doesn't MatLab have a special deal for their software for Students? I know they have at least have a trial version...

I graduated recently and I am not currently at university. Not having some data to play around with is making me unhappy.

You could also try scilab. It is very close to MATLAB and there is a windows version as well.

Because a lot of gnu and open source software is being developed for linux, you might consider installing linux in a separate partition. I find Ubuntu and SuSe very user friendly. You can first burn a knoppix bootable linux dvd to see what it's like.

Hi bigfooted,
Thanks for the response. I installed Scilab and its just what I was looking for to ease my withdrawal symptoms.
I looked into the partitioning to add Ubuntu. My computer has a lot of Hard disc space, but it isn't the speediest computer, I'm not sure what would be the effect of having both, I believe you choose on start-up but I am not sure if there is any extra burden on processing, etc.

I was actually considering building a PC which won't be until next year, but I am doing the necessary 'research' at the moment and was considering putting Ubuntu on that PC instead. Presumably, if the PC is built from scratch, I simply use a CD with an 'Ubuntu Installer' on it?

It's interesting that a lot of GNU and open source software is for linux; I guess its the preferred OS for programmers? I used it briefly at Uni and I have to admit it is pretty cool (I'm not a programmer mind you, actually have limited knowledge).

Anyway, thanks for the information!

During the boot process you can choose between starting windows or linux. After you've made your choice, the OS starts and the other OS will be ignored. Neither windows nor linux will be slower when there is another OS present because the other OS is not started.
You can put ubuntu on a bootable dvd and run the entire OS from DVD without installing anything:
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

The times that you had to be a hardcore computer nerd to work with linux are over.

Forget cygwin or dual boot, get Oracle Virtual Box and install the latest Ubuntu. Makes an In-windows virtual PC.

I prefer cygwin to virtual boxes. They take up a lot of resources. Cygwin is pretty straightforward. Just be sure when you install it to select ssh and associated xterm in the packages. It's not there by default.

I have dual boot, but there's really no reason for me to use my linux distribution. I use slackware, but mostly just for fun and learning. I'm a much more competent Windows user and there's way less messing with configurations and other admin tasks in Windows. Window's Cisco VPN client plays nicer than linux versions with my school server and cygwin has everything i need for serving myself a MATLAB window at home.

With the power and resources of modern computers the ease of Virtual boxes makes them worth the extra resources. You can have both systems up and controlling different peripherals at the same time. Generally at my lab at work it is a windows virtual box on a linux machine, but that is bacause our main servers are linux machines.

Dual boot is a hassle. Living in both worlds and sharing peripherals is really nice.

Thanks for all the options. I tried a dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows, then decided to switch solely to Ubuntu. There are a whole range of cool opensource programmes, plus its piqued my interest in OSs. Besides the convenience (how User-friendly it is), I don't see the benefits of Windows, plus a lot of the opensource stuff is oriented towards Linux OSs. Many thanks for all the help!

1. What is Cygwin and how does it relate to Octave-use?

Cygwin is a free and open-source software tool that provides a Unix-like environment on Windows operating systems. It allows for the installation and use of Octave, which is a high-level programming language used for numerical computations and data analysis.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge of Unix to install and use Cygwin for Octave?

No, you do not need prior knowledge of Unix to install and use Cygwin for Octave. However, some basic understanding of command-line interfaces may be helpful.

3. Is Cygwin compatible with all versions of Windows?

Yes, Cygwin is compatible with all versions of Windows, including Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP.

4. Can I use Cygwin for Octave on a Mac or Linux operating system?

No, Cygwin is specifically designed for Windows operating systems. Mac and Linux users can use Octave natively without the need for Cygwin.

5. Is it necessary to install Cygwin for Octave if I already have a Windows version of Octave?

No, it is not necessary to install Cygwin if you already have a Windows version of Octave. However, some packages and functions may require Cygwin to run properly, so it may be beneficial to have it installed.