Fluid dynamics and particulate diffusion question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two connected cylindrical tubes, one with a constant flow of a laminar fluid saturated with particles and the other with a smaller radius, initially without particles and closed at one end. The goal is to find the number of particles that enter the smaller, closed tube and determine the suitable equations for this situation. The discussion includes considerations for modeling the smaller tube as a constant-pressure system and the potential limitations of using a simple diffusion equation due to the 90-degree bend and non-constant flow. The conversation also mentions the use of COMSOL software and the need to consider the steady flow of the fluid despite one end being capped off.
ArriFerrari
I have two cylindrical tubes connected at a 90 degree junction. One tube has a constant flow of a laminar fluid going through it and the fluid is saturated by a soluble particulate with a known concentration. The other tube has a much smaller radius, initially has no particles and is closed at the unconnected end.

How do I find the number of particulates that enter the smaller, closed tube? What equations would be most suitable for this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem. I would model the smaller tube as a constant-pressure system with a fixed high-concentration source of particles at one end, perhaps similar to thermal diffusion (constant heat source at one end).

Were this one straight tube split by some diaphragm with a high concentration on one side and zero on the other and the diaphragm were suddenly removed, this would be easily solved analytically using the diffusion equation. However, I imagine there is no analytical solution here on account of the 90-degree bend and the fact that you assume there is some flow going on as well.

That's a fair point; I assumed the smaller tube was initially full of (incompressible) solvent devoid of solute.

That is a fair assumption. In the experiment, it is. The only reason I can't use a simple diffusion equation is that constant flow. This is actually only a first step though, I need to find how much of the solute gets in the smaller tube when there is a non-constant flow. We can still assume that the laminar, non-compressible fluid is going straight down the larger tube, like water in a pipe. But it is driven by a rhythmic pressure fluctuation (like a heartbeat). I have access to COMSOL, but very little experience setting up this sort of thing.

How exactly do you have a steady flow if one end is capped off? That would seem to be impossible. Is the second tube connected so as to form a T with the first tube and allow a constant flow through the first tube or is it an L as you originally described?

What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and interact with their surroundings.

What is particulate diffusion?

Particulate diffusion is the process by which particles (such as molecules or small solid particles) move from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration due to random thermal motion.

How are fluid dynamics and particulate diffusion related?

Fluid dynamics plays a crucial role in understanding particulate diffusion, as the movement of particles is influenced by the flow and mixing patterns of the surrounding fluid.

What are some real-world applications of fluid dynamics and particulate diffusion?

Fluid dynamics and particulate diffusion have many practical applications, such as predicting air pollution patterns, understanding ocean currents, and designing efficient filtration systems.

What are some common methods used to study fluid dynamics and particulate diffusion?

Some common methods include experimental techniques (such as flow visualization and particle tracking), mathematical modeling, and computational simulations using specialized software.