Why does condensation occur on plastic water bottles?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of condensation and its occurrence when filling a plastic bottle with chili water from a drink tap. The participants come to the understanding that condensation is the cause of the moisture on the outside of the bottle, rather than leakage from the bottle itself. The concept of condensation is further explored, with the example of a tent becoming wet in the morning without any rain. The conversation highlights the importance of understanding scientific concepts and how they can be applied in everyday situations.
pivoxa15
Why is it that when I fill my plastic pure water drinkbottle with chili water from a drink tap, the whole bottle becomes a little wet even if I did not spill water onto the bottle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Condensation from the moisture in the air.

Zz.

Mm. Gotta love that chili water.

In my first junior high science class, my teacher asked us all that question. he played devil's advocate trying to convince us that it was leaking through the bottle. so we said "why does water, not juice, appear on a container that's filled with juice?", he responded by saying that only the water can pass through the container. Looking back on this, he was getting at a pretty good thing there. he made us explain something that we all intuitively knew (condensation) in a scientific way, rather than just by intuition.

As stated, condensation is of course correct.
For a quick way to firm this up in your mind, instead of chilled water, put warm water(warmer than the ambient air temp) and note that the outside of the bottle stays dry.

That is a nice explanation. I thought water leaking out of plastic was a bit suspect. I remember now that during camp in 9th grade, I asked why my tent was wet in the morning even though there hasn't been any rain during the night, a person answered condensation. I didn't have basic science knowledge at the time so didn't understand him. I don't think he explained it very well either as he was a student as well. 6 years later I meet this word again but understand it much better now. I am currently doing a thermodynamic subject as well.

What causes water to leak out of plastic containers?

Water leaking out of plastic containers can be caused by a variety of factors, including cracks or holes in the plastic, poor quality or damaged plastic, and changes in temperature or pressure. It can also be caused by improper storage or handling of the container.

Is it safe to drink water that has been stored in a leaking plastic container?

In general, it is not recommended to drink water that has been stored in a leaking plastic container. The water may have been contaminated by bacteria or other harmful substances that entered through the leak. In addition, the plastic itself may contain chemicals that can leach into the water.

What should I do if I notice water leaking from a plastic container?

If you notice water leaking from a plastic container, it is important to stop using it immediately. Check for any visible cracks or holes in the plastic and dispose of the container if it is damaged. If the container is still intact, transfer the water to a new container and make sure to properly seal it.

How can I prevent water from leaking out of plastic containers?

To prevent water from leaking out of plastic containers, make sure to use high quality containers and avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or pressure changes. Properly sealing the containers and handling them with care can also help prevent leaks.

Can water leaking out of plastic containers be harmful to the environment?

Yes, water leaking out of plastic containers can be harmful to the environment. If the water is contaminated, it can pollute the surrounding area and harm plants and animals. In addition, the plastic itself can take a long time to decompose, contributing to environmental pollution.