Homemade Helicopter: For the People.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of building a cheap helicopter, with many participants questioning the feasibility and safety of such a project. Some suggest alternative options, such as autogyros and propellor-driven backpacks, while others mention the high costs and complexities involved in designing and building a helicopter. There is also mention of available kits and plans for those interested in pursuing a DIY approach. Overall, the consensus seems to be that building a cheap and safe helicopter is not a simple task and requires a significant amount of knowledge and resources.
Cyrus said:
These types of small helicopters have been around for well over ten years.

Counting thehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bensen_Aircraft" [Broken], make that 58 years!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mugaliens said:
Counting thehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bensen_Aircraft" [Broken], make that 58 years!

Note the inventor: Dr Igor Bensen

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:
Note the inventor: Dr Igor Bensen

Ok, noted. I'm curious as to why, for the "Bensen autogyro" has gone by that name, without the academic accolade, since it's inception. Even his company, Bensen Aircraft, exists sans the doctorate, similar to Freeman's "Dyson sphere." It's not the Dr. Dyson sphere, and having met the man while visiting a good friend from high school who attended Princeton, I'll say "wow" as in "extremely mentally adept," but I'm thankful he never lorded his credentials.

I never met Dr. Bensen.

Plans for homebuilders of his Bensen B-8 remain available to this day. Remarkably capable aircraft! I've flown two helos, a Hughes 500C (369HE), used as a sherrif's helo, and a UH-1N. The Huey was solid as a rock, although it tended to slowly beat you like a washing machine, while the 500 was a bit squirrely!

The note was for the people thinking they should build one in their garage with no expertise. :wink:

The fact that its still in use says a lot because there are many home builds that fell by the waist side due to unsafe designs.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
The note was for the people thinking they should build one in their garage with no expertise. :wink:

The fact that its still in use says a lot because there are many home builds that fell by the waist side due to unsafe designs.

It's true: Amature-built aicraft experience experience approximately 3.5 times the accident rate of FAA-certified general aviation aircraft.

However, I'm not so sure that's a function of design or poor quality workmanship as it is the psyche of your typical amateur bilder! Most of them accept more risk than your average pilot, as evidenced by the fact they enter the home-build arena at all.

Having said that, I'm a very meticulous garage mechanic (i.e. I work on my own cars), builder of R/C models (though not since high school), and an aero engineer.

If I ever decided to enter the home-built market, I would rework all calcs, as I'm not about to sit my butt in an airplane that may contain hidden defects! But that's just me...

<h2>What materials are needed to build a homemade helicopter?</h2><p>To build a homemade helicopter, you will need a lightweight frame, a small engine, rotor blades, a tail rotor, a cockpit, and various tools for assembly.</p><h2>Is it safe to fly a homemade helicopter?</h2><p>Safety should always be a top priority when flying any type of aircraft, including a homemade helicopter. It is important to thoroughly test and inspect the helicopter before each flight and to follow all safety guidelines and regulations.</p><h2>How much does it cost to build a homemade helicopter?</h2><p>The cost of building a homemade helicopter can vary depending on the materials used and the complexity of the design. On average, it can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000.</p><h2>Do I need a pilot's license to fly a homemade helicopter?</h2><p>Yes, you will need a pilot's license to legally fly a homemade helicopter. It is important to receive proper training and certification before operating any aircraft.</p><h2>What is the maximum altitude a homemade helicopter can reach?</h2><p>The maximum altitude a homemade helicopter can reach will depend on the specific design and capabilities of the helicopter. However, most homemade helicopters are not designed for high altitudes and are typically flown at lower altitudes.</p>

What materials are needed to build a homemade helicopter?

To build a homemade helicopter, you will need a lightweight frame, a small engine, rotor blades, a tail rotor, a cockpit, and various tools for assembly.

Is it safe to fly a homemade helicopter?

Safety should always be a top priority when flying any type of aircraft, including a homemade helicopter. It is important to thoroughly test and inspect the helicopter before each flight and to follow all safety guidelines and regulations.

How much does it cost to build a homemade helicopter?

The cost of building a homemade helicopter can vary depending on the materials used and the complexity of the design. On average, it can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000.

Do I need a pilot's license to fly a homemade helicopter?

Yes, you will need a pilot's license to legally fly a homemade helicopter. It is important to receive proper training and certification before operating any aircraft.

What is the maximum altitude a homemade helicopter can reach?

The maximum altitude a homemade helicopter can reach will depend on the specific design and capabilities of the helicopter. However, most homemade helicopters are not designed for high altitudes and are typically flown at lower altitudes.