How to Calculate Acceleration in a Pulley System with Two Masses?

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulley with a moment of inertia of 6.0 kgm2 and a radius of 0.50 m. The cord supporting two masses, m1 and m2, does not slip and the axle is frictionless. The goal is to find the acceleration of each mass when m1 = 2.9 kg and m2 = 5.3 kg. The person asking for help attempts to use the formula r(T2 - T1) = (I)(a/r) but gets an incorrect answer of a = 1.6. They ask for guidance and eventually figure out the correct answer with help from others.
Touchme
The pulley in Figure P8.59 has a moment of inertia of 6.0 kgm2 and a radius of 0.50 m. The cord supporting the masses m1 and m2 does not slip, and the axle is frictionless.

Find the acceleration of each mass when m1 = 2.9 kg and m2 = 5.3 kg.

Im not sure how to get started. What I did was r(T2 - T1) = (I)(a/r)
I got a = 1.6 but that is wrong
What am I doing wrong?

Nvm,, got the answer. thanks for lookin

Attachments

• p8-59.gif
    p8-59.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i have a question, how did u get the answer? I am really having trouble with that..if you don't mind? :) cuz' i tried a lot and i still don't have the answer...

xbabiemuahzx: Show us what you've tried so far and where you are stuck.

What is a pulley with two masses?

A pulley with two masses is a simple machine used to lift heavy objects. It consists of two masses, one on each side of the pulley, connected by a rope or belt that passes over the pulley. The pulley allows for the weight of one mass to counterbalance the weight of the other, making it easier to lift.

How does a pulley with two masses work?

A pulley with two masses works by distributing the weight of the objects evenly between the two sides of the pulley. This allows for the force needed to lift one mass to be reduced by the weight of the other mass, making it easier to lift. The pulley also changes the direction of the force, allowing for the weight to be lifted upwards instead of straight down.

What are some real-world applications of a pulley with two masses?

A pulley with two masses has many real-world applications. It is commonly used in elevators, cranes, and other lifting equipment. It can also be found in exercise machines, such as weightlifting machines, where it helps to distribute the weight and make lifting easier.

What factors affect the efficiency of a pulley with two masses?

The efficiency of a pulley with two masses is affected by several factors. These include the weight of the objects being lifted, the friction in the pulley system, and the angle at which the rope or belt is pulled. The more weight that needs to be lifted and the more friction in the system, the less efficient the pulley will be.

What are the advantages of using a pulley with two masses?

A pulley with two masses offers several advantages. It can make lifting heavy objects easier by distributing the weight and changing the direction of the force. It also allows for more control over the lifting process, as the weight can be adjusted by changing the position of the masses. Additionally, using a pulley with two masses can reduce the risk of injury when lifting heavy objects.