What 90's arcade game features a flying ship and multiple upgrades?

• Thread starter Weave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the game features a flying ship where you attack ground and air targets. You get multiple upgrades that upgrade weapons, etc. It was in 32bit color, I think.
Weave
I can't remember the name of the game, but I think it was made in the 90's. It features a flying ship where you attack ground and air targets. You get multiple upgrades that upgrade weapons, etc. It was in 32bit color, I think. I had a dream about this game but could not remember what it was called- and yes it is a real game.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lol, I remember the game as well I think but I can't remember the name. I think they also had it on SEGA or something right? Basically you just could move your ship up and down as well as left and right on the screen and the screen was always moving to the right to simulate flying forwards. Then at the end of most levels you would fight some boss.

yah exactly. I remember playing at a Pizza Hut years ago. I just remember the name.

Was it called defender?

No it wasn't defender, it is a little bit more complex than that.

Yea that's what I thought too :smile: . I don't know then.

See, defender it that space based one, the one I'm talkin about isn't

I'm not familiar with any side scrolling shooters, but Raiden and Raiden 2 were nice vertical scrollers.

That describes about 100 games to me. Sadly I can't remember any of the titles either... :rolleyes:

verty said:
I'm not familiar with any side scrolling shooters, but Raiden and Raiden 2 were nice vertical scrollers.
That's what I was thinking of...

Reminds me of my beloved Star Fox game..you had to beat the "boss" after each level.

hypatia said:
Reminds me of my beloved Star Fox game..you had to beat the "boss" after each level.

I sometimes wonder if there exists an arcade game where one didn't have to beat the boss after each level. :rofl:

Don't know why, since it doesn't match the description, but reminded me of Xenon. :smile:

It is in either 32 or 64 bit color
and a scrolling shooter

Last edited:
No its not Zaxxon. It is a scroll shooter, and it -might- be from Capcon, but not sure.

Oh, I miss Xevious. :frown:

Weave said:
No its not Zaxxon. It is a scroll shooter, and it -might- be from Capcon, but not sure.

could it be http://youtube.com/watch?v=HJgKSfSsbb4"?? i remember throwing away many quarters playing that one & raiden. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to date myself, but that description made me miss Space Invaders! :biggrin: (I know, it's about a decade too early to be the one you're describing, and I don't think it was in color either.)

Yah carrier airwing has the right idea, but the game I am talking about shows a top view of aircraft. You are facing off against other aircraft and there are tanks on the ground as well. I remember one of the cool upgrades was one that would let you have shots spread out form various directions. Nope not space invaders, good stuff though.

By what mechanism did you get upgrades?

Well Slap Fight was a vertical scroller with ground enemies...

Weave said:
Yah carrier airwing has the right idea, but the game I am talking about shows a top view of aircraft. You are facing off against other aircraft and there are tanks on the ground as well. I remember one of the cool upgrades was one that would let you have shots spread out form various directions.

sounds a lot like raiden but it could be many others. in raiden there were ground enemies as well as aircraft, and there were 3 weapons you could get. one was a blue laser, there were bullets after upgrading them enough they would shoot a wide (~90 degree) swath across the screen. i can't remember the 3rd one, maybe missiles of some sort. :confused:

here's a clip of raiden 2 (i always loved that purple laser lol :!) )

Last edited by a moderator:
MMM...well I also remember that he fighter was either red or blue

Weave said:
MMM...well I also remember that he fighter was either red or blue

hmmm sounds a bit more like raiden now :tongue2:

No..but it is very close to it

Maybe you are thinking of the game Lifeforce.

Weave said:
it -might- be from Capcom, but not sure.

UN Squadron, Mars Matrix, Giga Wing 2, Gunbird?

Edit: Just realized this is a very old post!

Last edited:
Check on "Raptor". That might be it. Vertical scrolling game with upgrades for successful completion of levels, and with upgrades that you can "pick up" along the way. If you make it to the end of a level you have to face a "mother ship" with lots of firepower.

I think you are talking about 1942 which was made by Capcom?I used to love this too.

Its been almost 4 years, I don't think he's still looking :)

I know where you can find the identity of the game. It would be very helpful if you remembered the game developer. Was it Taito, Data East, Sega, Irem Corp., Konami, Leland Corp., and so forth.

Here's the website. You will be quite surprised how many games have been developed by your favorite arcade manufactures that you never saw the light of day.

http://www.system16.com/

Awesome website! It tells you all about the hardware involved with arcade technology.

Just a little F.Y.I. In 1988, Sega Y-Boards, while technically just 16-bit systems, were already pushing the output of later 32-bit systems. Arcade technology was about 10-15 years more advanced than the home consumer systems.

1. What were the most popular 90's arcade games?

The most popular 90's arcade games include Pac-Man, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Donkey Kong, and Space Invaders.

2. How did 90's arcade games differ from modern video games?

90's arcade games were typically played on stand-alone machines in arcades, while modern video games can be played on a variety of devices such as consoles, computers, and smartphones. 90's arcade games also had simpler graphics and gameplay compared to modern video games.

3. Were there any groundbreaking advancements in 90's arcade games?

Yes, the 90's saw the introduction of 3D graphics in arcade games, with titles such as Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA. It also saw the rise of fighting games and the use of motion controls in games like Dance Dance Revolution.

4. What was the impact of 90's arcade games on the gaming industry?

90's arcade games played a significant role in popularizing video games and bringing them into the mainstream. They also paved the way for advancements in technology and game design that continue to shape the gaming industry today.

5. Are there any 90's arcade games that are still popular today?

Yes, some 90's arcade games have stood the test of time and are still popular today, such as Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, and Pac-Man. These games have been remastered and re-released for modern consoles and continue to have a dedicated fan base.