How Do Forces Maintain Equilibrium in a Supported Shelf System?

In summary, the three forces acting on the shelf are the weight force from the mass, the force from the strut, and the reaction force from the wall. The thrust from the strut is 4000N and it acts along its length. The magnitude and direction of the force on the shelf where it touches the wall is unknown and can be found by taking the moment about the joint and finding the reaction forces of the shelf and the force along the strut.
danago
Gold Member
A container of mass 4kg on a shelf is supported by a strut as shown. The container is evenly loaded and it is centrally placed on the shelf. (Ignore the weight of the shelf)

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1038/7bq4tx9.gif

a) What are the three forces acting on the shelf?
b) What is the thrust from the strut, assuming it acts along its length?
c) What is the magnitude and direction of the force on the shelf where it touches the wall?

a) There is the weight force from the mass, the force from the strut, and the reaction force from the wall.

b) For part b, I am a little stuck. For a state of equilibrium, the vector sum of all forces must be zero. The container provides a force of 4000N downwards (using g=10ms-2). Together, with the vertical components of the thrust from the strut, and the reaction from the wall, the net force in the vertical direction is zero.

The thrust (T) provided in the vertical direction by the strut is [tex]Tcos(60)N[/tex] upwards, the weight force is 4000N downwards. The angle and magnitude of the reaction from the wall is unknown, so I am not sure how to go about it.

Anyone able to help? Thanks in advance,
Dan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm i just re-read the question (perhaps something i should have done before?), and realized it said the container is placed centrally on the shelf. Given this, i can show that the vertical component of the reaction force is equal to the vertical component of the thrust. Is this the path i should take in solving this problem?

Last edited:
Ok i think I've done it. Assuming that what I've said above is correct, i can say:

[tex]2Tcos60=4000\therefore T=4000N[/tex]

the strut and the shelf are pin joined right?, if so take moment about the joint to find the reaction forces of the shelf (wall and shelf union, i assume pin joined too), then find the force along the strut.

1. What is equilibrium and why is it important?

Equilibrium is a state of balance in a system where the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. It is an important concept in chemistry because it allows us to predict how chemical reactions will proceed and determine the conditions under which a reaction will reach completion.

2. How do you calculate equilibrium constant?

The equilibrium constant (K) is calculated by taking the ratio of the products raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients to the reactants raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients. K = [Products]^n / [Reactants]^m, where n and m are the stoichiometric coefficients of the products and reactants, respectively.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium of a chemical reaction?

The equilibrium of a chemical reaction can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products. Adding or removing a reactant or product, changing the volume or pressure of the system, or changing the temperature can all shift the equilibrium position.

4. How do you determine the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products?

The equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products can be determined using the equilibrium constant and the initial concentrations of the reactants. By setting up an ICE (Initial-Change-Equilibrium) table and solving for the unknown concentrations, we can determine the equilibrium concentrations of reactants and products.

5. What is Le Chatelier's principle and how does it relate to equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, it will shift in a direction that reduces the disturbance and restores equilibrium. This means that changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration will cause the equilibrium to shift in the direction that minimizes the effect of the change. This principle helps us predict how changes in conditions will affect the equilibrium of a chemical reaction.