Flea Zapper Comb - Does it Really Work?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, this product is not worth the money. It is ineffective, the dog will likely smell bad, and it's not safe for pets to be near while it's in use.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Has anyone tried one of these flea zapper combs?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XE4JS/?tag=pfamazon01-20
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SNX9AG0RL._AA280_.jpg
I thought it was a neat idea, but was skeptical that it would work.

"Product Description
Flea Zapper Comb! It "Zaps" fleas on contact by emitting a safe electric charge that is harmless to you and your pet."

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be nice if they did.

Even dogs are photoshopped these days!

Math Is Hard said:
Has anyone tried one of these flea zapper combs?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007XE4JS/?tag=pfamazon01-20
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SNX9AG0RL._AA280_.jpg
I thought it was a neat idea, but was skeptical that it would work.

"Product Description
Flea Zapper Comb! It "Zaps" fleas on contact by emitting a safe electric charge that is harmless to you and your pet."

Waste of money! You can use that bug zapper you have hanging on your porch for the same job.:biggrin: I'm sure your pet wouldn't mind being rubbed with a powered up bug zapper!

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it zap the fleas, but not the dog? I suppose if the electrodes are recessed and can't ever touch the skin, it would protect the dog. But fleas live very close to the skin, so they might never get close enough to the electrodes to experience the joy of being fried.

And then there's the issue that your dog will likely smell like burned fleas for days afterwards. What's worse, that or wet dog?

- Warren

I prefer a bow-an-arrow, but then... I'm not terribly fond of dogs.

Its the same product they use on humans for head lice. It does work well, but you half to use it everyday.

hmmm... I need to test it out on something before I comb my cat with it.

Hey, Smurf, come here for a second...

chroot said:
How does it zap the fleas, but not the dog? I suppose if the electrodes are recessed and can't ever touch the skin, it would protect the dog. But fleas live very close to the skin, so they might never get close enough to the electrodes to experience the joy of being fried.

And then there's the issue that your dog will likely smell like burned fleas for days afterwards. What's worse, that or wet dog?

- Warren

I guess it just takes a super small amount of electricity to electrocute a flea, not enough to cause pain to a person or pet? It seems like those bug zappers that hang out side have quite a bit of juice, though.

If it helps at all, I'm guessing it's mostly because it's a fine-toothed comb that combs out the fleas and flea eggs. But, miss just a few, and they'll be back. Certainly, if you have a badly infested pet, brushing and combing along with a bath is a good idea to help get the adults off quickly, followed up by one of those topical flea treatments that might take a few days to work (bathe the pet before applying the treatment, otherwise you'll wash it all back off).

1. How does the Flea Zapper Comb work?

The Flea Zapper Comb works by using a small electric charge to kill fleas and their eggs on contact. The comb's teeth are made of metal, and when they come into contact with a flea, the electric charge is released and kills the flea instantly.

2. Is the Flea Zapper Comb safe for my pet?

Yes, the Flea Zapper Comb is safe for use on pets. The electric charge is low enough to not harm your pet, but strong enough to kill fleas. Just be sure to follow the instructions and use the comb as directed.

3. How effective is the Flea Zapper Comb at eliminating fleas?

The Flea Zapper Comb can be very effective at eliminating fleas, but it also depends on the severity of the infestation. It works best when used in conjunction with other flea control methods, such as vacuuming and treating the environment. Regular use of the comb can also help prevent future infestations.

4. Can the Flea Zapper Comb be used on all types of pets?

The Flea Zapper Comb is safe for use on most pets, including dogs, cats, and even small animals like rabbits and guinea pigs. However, it is not recommended for use on birds or reptiles.

5. How often should I use the Flea Zapper Comb on my pet?

The frequency of use for the Flea Zapper Comb depends on the severity of the infestation and the instructions provided by the manufacturer. In general, it is recommended to use the comb at least once a week, but it may need to be used more frequently for severe infestations.