Questions on salt water vs fresh water

Your Name]In summary, salt dissolves in water and becomes surrounded by water molecules through a process called hydration. The salt particles are suspended in the water and do not settle to the bottom of the container due to the density of salt water being heavier than fresh water. The salt and water molecules do not chemically combine, but they do interact through intermolecular forces. Salt molecules are heavier than water molecules, but the difference in weight is not significant enough to cause the salt to sink to the bottom.
jim
Questions on salt water vs fresh water...

I live in an area that is experiencing a long drought. So, I got to
thinking about the differences in fresh and salt water and have a few
questions that I'd like your thoughts on.

Just what happens to salt in salt water?

Do the molecules of water and salt combine or is the salt simply
suspended in the water?

If it is just suspended, what makes it stay suspended?

Why doesn't it settle to the bottom of the container?

Are the water molecules heavier than the salt molecules or vice versa or
are they approximately the same weight?

Thanks for any light that you could shine on these questions!

jim

Physics news on Phys.org
my

Dear Jimmy,

Thank you for your questions about salt water and fresh water. I am happy to provide some answers and shed some light on this topic.

Firstly, let's talk about what happens to salt in salt water. Salt, which is made up of sodium and chloride ions, dissolves in water. This means that the salt molecules break apart and become surrounded by water molecules, which are polar molecules. This process is called hydration. Essentially, the water molecules form a layer around the salt ions, preventing them from clumping together and staying suspended in the water.

In terms of whether the molecules of water and salt combine or are simply suspended, it is a bit of both. The water molecules do not chemically bond with the salt ions, but they do interact with them through hydrogen bonding and other intermolecular forces. This allows the salt to stay suspended in the water without settling to the bottom of the container.

The reason why salt doesn't settle to the bottom of the container is due to the density of salt water. Salt water is denser than fresh water because of the added mass of the dissolved salt ions. This means that the salt particles are evenly distributed throughout the water, preventing them from settling at the bottom.

In terms of weight, the salt molecules and water molecules have different weights. Salt molecules are heavier than water molecules, which is why salt water is denser than fresh water. However, the difference in weight is not significant enough to cause the salt to sink to the bottom of the container.

I hope this answers your questions about salt water and fresh water. If you have any further questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to reach out. As scientists, we are always happy to share our knowledge and help others understand the world around us.

I am happy to provide some answers to your questions about salt water and fresh water.

Firstly, salt water and fresh water differ in their salt content. Salt water contains a higher concentration of dissolved salts, while fresh water has a lower concentration or no salts at all.

Regarding what happens to salt in salt water, the molecules of salt actually dissociate into ions when they come into contact with water. This means that the individual sodium and chloride ions separate from each other and become surrounded by water molecules. This is known as hydration and it allows the salt to dissolve in the water.

The salt in salt water is not simply suspended, but rather it is dissolved and evenly distributed throughout the water. This is why it does not settle to the bottom of the container.

The reason why salt stays suspended in water is due to the constant movement of water molecules. The water molecules are constantly in motion and this motion keeps the salt ions dispersed and prevents them from settling.

The weight of water molecules and salt ions is not the determining factor for why salt stays suspended in water. It is the motion of the water molecules that keeps the salt ions suspended.

I hope this helps to shed some light on your questions. If you have any further questions about salt water and fresh water, please feel free to ask. As scientists, it is our job to continue exploring and understanding the world around us.

1. What is the main difference between salt water and fresh water?

Salt water contains a high concentration of dissolved salts, while fresh water has a very low concentration of dissolved salts.

2. How does the salinity of salt water affect marine life?

The high salinity of salt water can affect the osmoregulation of marine organisms, making it difficult for them to maintain proper water balance. It can also impact the availability of nutrients and affect the survival of certain species.

3. Can humans drink salt water in an emergency?

No, drinking salt water can actually lead to dehydration as the body tries to flush out the excess salt. It is important to only consume fresh water for proper hydration.

4. How does salt water and fresh water impact the Earth's climate?

The high heat capacity of salt water makes it a major contributor to regulating the Earth's climate. It absorbs and retains heat, helping to regulate temperature changes. Fresh water, on the other hand, has a lower heat capacity and can contribute to more extreme temperature fluctuations.

5. Is one type of water more abundant than the other on Earth?

Fresh water makes up only about 2.5% of the Earth's water, while salt water makes up the remaining 97.5%. However, fresh water is more easily accessible and usable for human consumption, making it a valuable resource that needs to be conserved.