Satellite Problem: 2 Difficulties of Effective Communic.

• Thread starter ultimateroxas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, there are two main difficulties associated with effective and reliable communications between satellites and Earth. The first is distance, as satellites are often located far away from Earth and this can cause signal delays and interference. The second is the Van Allen Radiation Belts, which can disrupt radio communications with satellites due to their high levels of radiation. Other factors such as atmospheric interference, solar alignment, and limited visibility from Earth can also contribute to communication difficulties.
ultimateroxas

Homework Statement

Describe TWO difficulties associated with effective or reliable communications between satellites and Earth.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my class work
Many google searches but still no clear answer

Physics news on Phys.org
ultimateroxas said:

Homework Statement

Describe TWO difficulties associated with effective or reliable communications between satellites and Earth.

Ask yourself the following questions. By what means do we communicate with satellites orbiting the Earth? What is essential in order to maintain communication by those means? Now, given where satellites are and what they do, what problems could interfere with such communications?

Thanks for your help. i ended up using Distance and The Van Allen Radiation Belts as my two answers and got some info about them. thanks again.

ultimateroxas said:
Thanks for your help. i ended up using Distance and The Van Allen Radiation Belts as my two answers and got some info about them. thanks again.

OK. I was thinking about atmospheric (and magnetospheric) interference with radio communications, the occasional alignment of some satellites with the Sun (so that an antenna on Earth pointing at the satellite is aimed right at the strongest radio source in the Solar System), and the fact that most kinds of satellites are not in view from a fixed point on Earth for long periods (geostationary communications satellites are the exception -- the orbits are chosen to assure that they are always in view from a given location).

1. What are the two main difficulties of effective communication with satellites?

The two main difficulties of effective communication with satellites are signal delay and signal degradation.

2. How does signal delay affect communication with satellites?

Signal delay occurs because of the distance between the satellite and the ground station. This delay can cause problems with real-time communication and can make it difficult for satellites to receive commands or send data back to Earth.

3. What causes signal degradation in satellite communication?

Signal degradation can be caused by factors such as atmospheric interference, solar flares, and electromagnetic interference. These factors can weaken the signal between the satellite and the ground station, resulting in a loss of data or a decrease in communication quality.

4. How do scientists overcome these difficulties in satellite communication?

Scientists use techniques such as error correction coding and adaptive modulation to mitigate the effects of signal delay and degradation. They also carefully select the frequency bands and antenna designs to optimize communication with satellites.

5. Can the difficulties of effective communication with satellites be completely eliminated?

While scientists have made significant advancements in addressing the difficulties of satellite communication, it is unlikely that these challenges will ever be completely eliminated. However, ongoing research and technological developments continue to improve the overall effectiveness and reliability of satellite communication.