Eigenvalues of a unitary matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if a matrix U is unitary, then all of its eigenvalues have an absolute value of 1. The conversation delves into the definition of unitary and how to manipulate the equations to show that the eigenvalues must have an absolute value of 1. Different methods of proving this statement are also mentioned, such as using isomertry or working strictly with matrices.
kingwinner
Q: Prove htat if a matrix U is unitary, then all eigenvalues of U have absolute value 1.

My try:
Suppose U*=U^-1 (or U*U=I)

Let UX=(lambda)X, X nonzero
=> U*UX=(lambda) U*X
=> X=(lambda) U*X
=> ||X||=|lambda| ||U*X||
=> |lambda| = ||X|| / ||(U^-1)X||

And now I am really stuck and hopeless, what can I do?

Thanks for helping!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If Ux=(lambda)x then (x*)(U*)=(lambda*)(x*). Multiply those together.

Dick said:
If Ux=(lambda)x then (x*)(U*)=(lambda*)(x*). Multiply those together.

Multiply which of them together??

The two equations.

quasar987 said:
The two equations.
OK, so
Ux (x*)(U*) = (lambda)x (lambda*)(x*)
But how does this prove the statement?

kingwinner said:
=> ||X||=|lambda| ||U*X||
If U is unitary, then ||Ux||=||x||.

morphism said:
If U is unitary, then ||Ux||=||x||.

Why?

Also, I know nothing about isomertry. Is there any way to prove the statement without this concept? Can somone please show me how?

Your initial definition of "unitary" was U*U= I, right? If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of U, with corresponding eigenvector v, then [itex]Uv= \lambda v[/itex]. But then [itex]U*U(v)= \lambda U*(v)[/itex] and since U*U= I, U*U(v)= v. That is, for any eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex] of U and corresponding eigevector v, [itex]\lambda U*(v)= v[/itex]. That means that v is also an eigenvector of U* with eigenvalue [itex]1/\lambda[/itex].

kingwinner said:
Why?

Also, I know nothing about isomertry. Is there any way to prove the statement without this concept? Can somone please show me how?
On second thought, maybe you should stick to what the other guys are suggesting. (For me, unitary = special kind of operator on an inner product space. But if you're working strictly with matrices, this might not be helpful. [For the sake of completeness: ||Ux||^2 = <Ux,Ux> = <x,U*Ux> = <x,x> = ||x||^2.])

Just thought I'd also mention lambda is never going to be zero (because U is invertible), so we can safely say things like 1/lambda!

Last edited:
kingwinner said:
OK, so
Ux (x*)(U*) = (lambda)x (lambda*)(x*)
But how does this prove the statement?

Multiply them in the OTHER ORDER, so you get a (U*)(U).

What are eigenvalues of a unitary matrix?

The eigenvalues of a unitary matrix are the set of complex numbers that satisfy the characteristic equation of the matrix, where the determinant of the matrix minus the identity matrix is equal to zero.

How are eigenvalues of a unitary matrix related to its eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues of a unitary matrix correspond to the scaling factor of its eigenvectors. This means that the eigenvectors of a unitary matrix are unchanged in direction but are scaled by its corresponding eigenvalue.

What is the significance of a unitary matrix having all its eigenvalues equal to 1?

If a unitary matrix has all its eigenvalues equal to 1, it is called a special unitary matrix. This means that the matrix is not only unitary, but it also has a determinant of 1. Special unitary matrices are important in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics.

Can a unitary matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a unitary matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This is because a unitary matrix can have complex entries, and its eigenvalues are determined by its characteristic equation, which can have complex solutions.

How are the eigenvalues of a unitary matrix related to its singular values?

The singular values of a unitary matrix are equal to the absolute value of its eigenvalues. This means that the singular values of a unitary matrix are always equal to 1, since the eigenvalues of a unitary matrix have a magnitude of 1.