Angle of inclination of the projectile: θ

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equations d=at+(1/2)at^2 and 7.12m = a cos θ t for horizontal motion, and 10m = a sin θ t + ½ g t^2 for vertical motion. The equation d=ut+(1/2)at^2 is incorrect and the correct equation is d=ut+(1/2)at^2. The variable 'u' represents initial speed and 'a' represents acceleration. The correct angle of inclination is θ = 29.8o.
jillz
d = at + ½ a t^2

Horizontally: 7.12m = a cos θ t

at = 7.12m/ cos θ

Vertically: 10m = a sin θ t + ½ g t^2

10m = (7.12m/ cos θ ) *sin θ + ½ g t^2 = 7.12m tan θ + ½ g t^2

10m = 7.12m tan θ + ½ g t^2

10m = 7.12m tan θ + ½ g 1.1^2g

Solve for θ

Angle of inclination of the projectile: θ = 29.8o

This answer (29.8) is wrong...that much I know; what did I do/where did I go wrong in my calcs??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what's the question? What is "a"-- acceleration? Your first equation is incorrect, if so: d=ut+(1/2)at^2

that's interesting; my teacher says to use a for acceleration... what is 'u'

u is initial speed, sometimes denoted v_i. One does normally use a for acceleration, but that equation is not correct. See http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/1DKin/U1L6a.html for the kinematic equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
'u' is the variable for what??

if 'a' is acceleration and I'm not supposed to use 'u', then shouldn't the equation be d=at+(1/2)at^2 ??

ok, thanks!

1. What is the angle of inclination of a projectile?

The angle of inclination of a projectile, denoted as θ, is the angle at which the projectile is launched or travels relative to the horizontal plane.

2. How does the angle of inclination affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of inclination greatly affects the trajectory of a projectile. A smaller angle will result in a longer horizontal distance traveled, while a larger angle will result in a higher vertical distance traveled.

3. What is the optimal angle of inclination for maximum distance?

The optimal angle of inclination for maximum distance is 45 degrees. This angle allows for an equal distribution of horizontal and vertical distances, resulting in the furthest overall travel.

4. How does air resistance affect the angle of inclination of a projectile?

Air resistance can alter the angle of inclination of a projectile, as it will cause the projectile to slow down and fall at a steeper angle. This is known as the drag force, and it can be minimized by choosing a more aerodynamic projectile.

5. Can the angle of inclination of a projectile be changed during flight?

No, the angle of inclination of a projectile cannot be changed once it is launched. However, external forces such as gravity and air resistance can alter the trajectory and angle of inclination of a projectile during flight.