Causality Condition(Continuous time LTI systems)

In summary: I do not have a book that I can read and I am running out of time.In summary, according to the author, a continuous time LTI system is causal if, and only if, its impulse response is the same as its input. If any of the impulse response's terms are not equal to zero, the system has memory.
alextsipkis
Can anybody prove or give a bit detail about the causality condition i.e

h(t) = 0, t<0 for continuous-time LTI system.

And based on this how a continuous time LTI system is causal if,

x(t) = 0, t<0.

Engineering news on Phys.org
alextsipkis said:
The condition for LTI system to be memoryless is of the form y(t) = Kx(t), and the impulse response will be the same with x(t) replaced by delta function.

Further, it says that if h(tx) is not equal to zero for tx is not equal to zero, the continuous-time LTI system has memory. Can somebody put more insight into this?

I wanted to have a more detail about LTI systems with and without memory

alextsipkis said:
Can anybody prove or give a bit detail about the causality condition i.e

h(t) = 0, t<0 for continuous-time LTI system.

And based on this how a continuous time LTI system is causal if,

x(t) = 0, t<0.

okay, Alex, I'm going to try to deal with both questions together. besides getting a good book on what we used to call Linear System Theory (what is currently most often labeled "Signals and Systems"), maybe take a look at this thread before moving on. also, just because it's easier, I'm going to move your question from continuous-time LTI systems to discrete-time LTI systems.

now, solely because of the fact that an LTI system is linear:

[tex] \mathbf{L} \left\{ x_1[n] + x_2[n] \right\} = \mathbf{L} \left\{ x_1[n] \right\} + \mathbf{L} \left\{ x_2[n] \right\} [/tex]

(which is synonymous with "superposition applies") and time-invariant:

if [tex] y[n] = \mathbf{TI} \left\{ x[n] \right\} [/tex]

then [tex] y[n-m] = \mathbf{TI} \left\{ x[n-m] \right\} [/tex],

solely because of those axioms, we can show that, for any general input x[n], the output y[n] is

[tex] y[n] = \sum_m x[m] \ h[n-m] \right\} [/tex]

where h[n] is the impulse respone

[tex] h[n] = \mathbf{LTI} \left\{ \delta[n] \right\} [/tex].

this could be causal or acausal. if it is causal, the output cannot depend on any input values that are in the future, that means all of h[n] for any n<0 must be zero for those terms not to show up in the summation. if any one of h[n]<>0 for any n<0, that means the output will be different if some future value of x[n] changes and the output is able to anticipate future input values (which can't happen in a real-time physical system, but we can define processing of one file of data into another where the algorithm "looks ahead" to "future" samples in the input file, but those samples were really recorded sometime in the past).

this could be memoryless or not memoryless, if it is not memoryless, then only h[0] is non-zero. if, in a causal system, any other h[n] (for n>0), then memory is involved because somehow the present output value has to know about past input values (which is remembering them), thus memory is needed.

to convert this to continuous time, look at that thread. what happens is the summation becomes a Riemann integral an these discrete sample values get infinitesimally close to each other.

Thanks rbj for your detailed reply.

Ever since you posted, i was reading and trying to get my concepts clear and finally almost everything is clear then before.

1. What is the Causality Condition in continuous time LTI systems?

The Causality Condition is a fundamental concept in systems theory that states that the output of a system at any given time should only depend on the input values at the current and past times. In other words, the output of a system should not be affected by future inputs.

2. Why is the Causality Condition important in continuous time LTI systems?

The Causality Condition is important because it ensures that a system is stable and predictable. By only considering past and current inputs, the system can be analyzed and controlled without the influence of future events, making it easier to design and understand.

3. How is the Causality Condition mathematically represented in continuous time LTI systems?

The Causality Condition can be mathematically represented by the impulse response of the system, which is a function that maps the input signal to the output signal at any given time. If the impulse response is zero for all negative time values, then the system satisfies the Causality Condition.

4. What happens if the Causality Condition is not satisfied in a continuous time LTI system?

If the Causality Condition is not satisfied, the system is considered to be non-causal. This means that the output of the system at any given time is dependent on future inputs, making it difficult to analyze and control. Non-causal systems are also considered to be unstable and can exhibit unpredictable behavior.

5. Can the Causality Condition be violated in certain scenarios for continuous time LTI systems?

Yes, there are certain scenarios where the Causality Condition may be violated, such as in systems with time delays or in systems that rely on future information for control. However, in most cases, it is important to satisfy the Causality Condition in order to ensure stability and predictability in continuous time LTI systems.