Prove: Poincare Model I-1 Holes for Every Two Points of E

In summary, the conversation discusses the Incidence Postulate I-1 for the Poincare Model and the need to prove that given any two points P and Q inside the unit circle C, there exists a unique L-line l containing them. This requires the use of analytic geometry, specifically the concept of "hyperbolic lines" which can be either Euclidean lines through the center of the bounding circle or circles orthogonal to the bounding circle. The conversation also mentions the use of inverse points to prove the existence of a unique circle through both P and Q that is orthogonal to the unit circle.
mathstudent88
Incidence Postualte I-1 holes for the Poincare Model: Every two points of E lie on exactly one L-Line.
Prove: Given any two points P and Q inside the unit circle C, there exists a unique L-line l containing them. (this will require the use of analytic geometry.)

poincare.jpg

L-lines:arcs of circles perpendicular to the unit circle in S and the diameter of S.

How would i solve this? I know that i need to prove and P,Q are not equal to the orgin and that either one is at the orgin, but how?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
mathstudent88 said:
Incidence Postualte I-1 holes for the Poincare Model: Every two points of E lie on exactly one L-Line.
Prove: Given any two points P and Q inside the unit circle C, there exists a unique L-line l containing them. (this will require the use of analytic geometry.)

poincare.jpg

L-lines:arcs of circles perpendicular to the unit circle in S and the diameter of S.

How would i solve this? I know that i need to prove and P,Q are not equal to the orgin and that either one is at the orgin, but how?

Thanks for the help!

You don't prove that neither P nor Q is at the origin- there is no reason for that to be true. However, a "hyperbolic line" in the Poincare circle model is either
1) A Euclidean line through the center of the bounding circle (here the origin) or
2) A circle orthogonal to the bounding circle.

IF is P or Q is the origin, then it is easy: the Euclidean line from P to Q is a hyperbolic line. You should also be able to prove, with Analytic geometry, that a circle passing through the origin cannot be orthogonal to the unit circle.

If neither P nor Q are at the origin, then you need to show that there is exactly one circle through both P and Q that is orthogonal to the unit circle. How you would do that, I can't say because I don't know what concepts you know that you can use. I myself would use the fact that the inverse points to P and Q must also be on that circle. Do you know what an "inverse point" in this sense is?

HallsofIvy said:
You don't prove that neither P nor Q is at the origin- there is no reason for that to be true. However, a "hyperbolic line" in the Poincare circle model is either
1) A Euclidean line through the center of the bounding circle (here the origin) or
2) A circle orthogonal to the bounding circle.

IF is P or Q is the origin, then it is easy: the Euclidean line from P to Q is a hyperbolic line. You should also be able to prove, with Analytic geometry, that a circle passing through the origin cannot be orthogonal to the unit circle.

If neither P nor Q are at the origin, then you need to show that there is exactly one circle through both P and Q that is orthogonal to the unit circle. How you would do that, I can't say because I don't know what concepts you know that you can use. I myself would use the fact that the inverse points to P and Q must also be on that circle. Do you know what an "inverse point" in this sense is?

Do you mean like P' and Q' are inverse points?

HallsofIvy said:
QUOTE]

To prove this, i would just have to show x^2+y^2+ax+by+1=0, given the points P and Q?

mathstudent88 said:
Do you mean like P' and Q' are inverse points?
I have no idea because I have no idea what YOU mean by P' and Q'.

mathstudent88 said:
HallsofIvy said:
QUOTE]

To prove this, i would just have to show x^2+y^2+ax+by+1=0, given the points P and Q?
Again, since you have not said what a and b are, I have no idea what you are talking about!

1. What is the Poincare Model I-1?

The Poincare Model I-1 is a mathematical model used in topology to represent surfaces with one hole. It is a non-Euclidean geometry that is often used in the study of hyperbolic geometry.

2. What does it mean to have "holes" in a surface?

In topology, "holes" refer to the presence of gaps or empty spaces in a surface. These holes can be described and measured using mathematical models such as the Poincare Model I-1.

3. How is the Poincare Model I-1 used to prove the existence of holes?

The Poincare Model I-1 is used to prove the existence of holes by showing that for every two points on a surface, there exists a unique non-self-intersecting curve that connects them. This curve is known as a geodesic and its existence implies the existence of a hole on the surface.

4. Can the Poincare Model I-1 be applied to any surface?

No, the Poincare Model I-1 can only be applied to surfaces with a certain type of curvature known as constant negative curvature. Examples of surfaces that can be represented using this model include the hyperbolic plane and certain types of saddle-shaped surfaces.

5. What are the implications of the Poincare Model I-1 in mathematics and science?

The Poincare Model I-1 has significant implications in mathematics and science, particularly in the fields of topology and geometry. It has helped to provide a better understanding of surfaces with negative curvature and has also been used in the study of complex systems, such as the behavior of particles in a gravitational field.