Friction Model for a rolling disk

In summary, In Doc Al's thesis, he is looking for a friction model that does not have the bug of the center of mass being accelerated in the presence of friction. He is looking for a model that uses a contact patch instead of a contact point. He is also looking for help with finding the required static friction to maintain a constant velocity.
f_nosferatu
Hey guys!

I'm doing my B.S thesis (Mech. Eng.) and I've come across the problem of a rolling disk with friction. Imagine a disk in real world rolling on a flat surface with no external force or torque applied to it except for the interaction of the surface (Normal, friction, etc.).

Now, since this is a real world problem, the disk will eventually come to a stop. However, if you write the equilibrium equations for such a disk using the single point friction model, you will come to a paradox: The friction force (let's say it's acting on the contact point in the opposite direction of moving) gives the disk's center of mass a negative linear acceleration, while the moment of the friction force about the center of mass tends to give the disk a positive angular acceleration! (Don't forget that the disk is in pure rolling, so: linear acc. = R * angular acc.)

This is why I need a friction model that doesn't have this bug! I think it should be based on a contact patch instead of a contact point, but I can't go further than that by myself. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the single friction point result in a negative acceleration of the center of mass? It appears that what you've decribed is a wheel rolling along a surface with no losses, therefore no linear or angular deceleration. The only time you'd have linear deceleration and angular acceleration is if the wheel was sliding as well as rolling.

It seems to me that rolling resistance requires some type of lossy deformation, that involves a contact patch area, as opposed to an infinitely thin contact point.

f_nosferatu said:
However, if you write the equilibrium equations for such a disk using the single point friction model, you will come to a paradox: The friction force (let's say it's acting on the contact point in the opposite direction of moving) gives the disk's center of mass a negative linear acceleration, while the moment of the friction force about the center of mass tends to give the disk a positive angular acceleration! (Don't forget that the disk is in pure rolling, so: linear acc. = R * angular acc.)
If the disk is rolling along a horizontal surface, the required static friction to maintain the motion (in that simple model you refer to) is zero. It's in equilibrium; No force is required to maintain constant velocity.

What you need to consider is rolling friction, due to the deformation of the surfaces. Here's a link to get you started: http://webphysics.davidson.edu/faculty/dmb/PY430/Friction/rolling.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot you both!

Doc Al: This is exactly what I need, but the link you provided is just the theory. I need actual formulations, whether numerical or analytical. For example, a function for the force distribution on the contact patch (as in the 3rd diagram of the link) could prove to be really useful. I know I can use the simple formula of [Frr=Crr*N] for rolling resistance force, but that won't help me with the rolling resistance torque. Could you provide any further help?

1. What is a "Friction Model" for a rolling disk?

A friction model for a rolling disk is a mathematical representation of the forces at play when a disk rolls on a surface. It takes into account variables such as the surface roughness, the weight of the disk, and the rotational speed to calculate the frictional force acting on the disk.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a rolling disk?

Friction plays a crucial role in the motion of a rolling disk. It slows down the disk by converting some of its kinetic energy into heat. The amount of frictional force acting on the disk also determines how fast or slow the disk will roll on a surface.

3. What factors influence the friction model for a rolling disk?

Several factors can influence the friction model for a rolling disk, including the surface roughness, the weight and diameter of the disk, and the rotational speed. Additionally, the type of material the disk is made of and the type of surface it is rolling on can also affect the frictional forces.

4. How is the friction model for a rolling disk used in real-world applications?

The friction model for a rolling disk is used in various real-world applications, such as designing wheels for vehicles or calculating the amount of force needed to move a heavy object on a surface. It is also used in industries such as manufacturing and engineering to improve the efficiency and performance of rolling mechanisms.

5. Are there any limitations to the friction model for a rolling disk?

Like any mathematical model, the friction model for a rolling disk has its limitations. It assumes that the disk is a perfect circle and that the surface it is rolling on is flat. It also does not take into account external factors such as air resistance or the elasticity of the disk, which can affect the motion of the disk.