Proving the Field Property of a Group of Numbers

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, a field is a set of objects with two binary operations (+ and *) that satisfies certain properties including an identity element for multiplication and the existence of a multiplicative inverse for every non-zero element. A ring is similar to a field, but may not have an identity element for multiplication or the property of every non-zero element having a multiplicative inverse. Both structures also have an abelian group under addition.
transgalactic
i got this group of numbers
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5291/20039746rf4.gif

prove that its a field

??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A field must be closed under addition and multiplication and every non-zero number must have a multiplicative inverse.

Is [itex](a+ b\sqrt{5})+ (c+ d\sqrt{5})[/itex] in that same set?
Is [itex](a+ b\sqrt{5})(c+ d\sqrt{5})[/itex] in that same set?

Is [tex]\frac{1}{a+b\sqrt{5}}[/tex] in that same set? (Hint: rationalize the denominator.)

the problem is that i remember these proofs as
Q(x)+Q(y)=Q(x+y)

Q(x)*Q(y)=Q(x*y)
but here the input the root of 5 instead of sum variable

??

i don't know how to construct these equations because there is no variable input?

Last edited:
Halls has shown you what you need to do. It seems pretty clear to me.

i clearly remember building these equations:
Q(x)+Q(y)=Q(x+y)

Q(x)*Q(y)=Q(x*y)

but in my function there is no variable in the input

??

transgalactic said:
the problem is that i remember these proofs as
Q(x)+Q(y)=Q(x+y)

Q(x)*Q(y)=Q(x*y)
but here the input the root of 5 instead of sum variable

??
What is a field, you probbably already know. However, In order to show that it is a ring, alll we need to show is that it is closed under subtraction, and under multiplication. Like Halls already told you.

What you are doing there, is basically a hommomorphism, that is the perservation of the operation, but we are not dealing with mapps between two fields in here.

So let x, and y be any two elements on that set, then obviously they will have the form

[itex]x=(a+ b\sqrt{5}); y= (c+ d\sqrt{5})[/itex]

so

[itex]x-y=(a+ b\sqrt{5})- (c+ d\sqrt{5})=(a-c)+(b-d)\sqrt{5}[/itex] so [tex]x-y \in Q(\sqrt{5})[/tex]

now also

[tex]xy=(a+ b\sqrt{5})(c+ d\sqrt{5})=ac+ad\sqrt{5}+bc\sqrt{5}+bd5=(ac+bd5)+(ad+bc)\sqrt{5}[/itex] which again, for obvious reasons is in [tex] Q(\sqrt{5})[/tex]

Now,in order for that to be a field, like Halls already stated,we need to show that every el. in that set has an inverse.

let x be in that set. so it will obviously have the form [tex]=x(a+ b\sqrt{5})[/tex] let
s suppose that there is another el, y, such that

[tex]xy=1 => y=\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{a+b\sqrt{5}}=\frac{a-b\sqrt{5}}{a^2-5b^2}[/tex] SO, the same question still holds, is this in the same set?

I'll give u one more hint: rewrite the last expression as

[tex]\frac{a}{a^2-5b^2}+\frac{-b}{a^2-5b^2}\sqrt{5}[/tex]

transgalactic said:
??

i don't know how to construct these equations because there is no variable input?

you don't need to construct these, because you are not dealing with a mapping between two rings or fields, and thus you are not asked to show whether that kind of mapping is a homomorphism. because, those expressions are used when we want to show that a particular mapping say between two rings is a homomorphism.

HallsofIvy said:
A field must be closed under addition

you meant under subtraction here, right?

yes if we split it:

a/(a^2-5b^2) -(b/a^2-5b^2)*5^(1/2)

is that correct?

transgalactic said:
yes if we split it:

a/(a^2-5b^2) -(b/a^2-5b^2)*5^(1/2)

is that correct?

Well, now the problem breaks down into showing whether
[tex]\frac{a}{a^2-5b^2}\in Q; and\frac{-b}{a^2-5b^2}\in Q ?[/tex]

You can either prove this one too, or take it for granted. since a, b are rational nr. then by adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing them, we will still end up having rational numbers.

hallsofIvy said to prove that that inverse of the formula is of the same set
and
a/(a^2-5b^2) -(b/a^2-5b^2)*5^(1/2) => a/(a^2-5b^2) +(-b/a^2+5b^2)*5^(1/2)

its of the same set now(it looks like the original formula)?

how to prove that 0 or 1 are members
??

If you want to write 0 or 1 as "[itex]a+ b\sqrt{5}[/itex]", what would a and b be equal to?

transgalactic said:
how to prove that 0 or 1 are members
??

[tex]0=0+0\sqrt{5}, 1=1+0\sqrt{5}[/tex] fair enough!

P.S this is what Halls already said!...lol...

how to recognize a ring proof
and field prove
i can't see the difference between them?

what is the form of a field?

what is the form of a ring?

(how each of their formula looks?)

transgalactic said:
how to recognize a ring proof
and field prove
i can't see the difference between them?
What are the definitions of "field" and "ring"?

ring is like x=(a+b,c,g+1)
and i need to
prove that it stays the same type by addition
and multiplication by scalar
and existence of zero.

field is like a formula
f(7)=a+7*b

is this correct

transgalactic said:
and i need to
and existence of zero.

field is like a formula
f(7)=a+7*b

is this correct

Read the wiki article I linked, what you wrote is not very mathematical in nature i.e. a field is definitely not "like a formula f(7) = a + 7*b". These are pretty advanced mathematical ideas and you should have at the very least the definition of each ingrained in your brain before you go out and try to prove things about them.

transgalactic said:
and i need to
and existence of zero.

field is like a formula
f(7)=a+7*b

is this correct
"ring is like" is not a DEFINITION. It is very important to learn the precise words of mathematical definitions. Definitions in mathematics are "working" definitions- you use the precise words of the definitions in proofs and problems.

A "ring" is a set of objects together with two binary operations, + and *, such that:
1) The set with the operation + is an abelian group (so you need to know the definition of that!).
2) The associative law is true for *, a*(b*c)= (a*b)*c and the distributive law a*(b+c)= a*b+ a*c is true.

A "field" is a set of objects together with two binary operations, + and *, such that:
1) The set with the operation + is an abelian group.
2) The associative law is true for * and the distributive law is true.
3) There exist an "identity" for *: a*1= 1*a= a for all a in the set.
4) Every element of the set except the additive identity has a multiplicative inverse.

(3) and (4) are, of course, the difference between a ring and a field. The set of all two by two matrices over the real numbers is an example of a ring (with identity) that is not a field. Some non-zero matrices do not have inverses.

regarding what you said about the field:
i remember you said that in order to prove a field
i need to prove that the sum and multiplication is of the same
structure.
and that the inverse is of the same structure
and that 0 exist

is that the tests i need to perform
?

Halls just outlined what you need to prove. Aren't you missing a few points?

HallsofIvy said:
"ring is like" is not a DEFINITION. It is very important to learn the precise words of mathematical definitions. Definitions in mathematics are "working" definitions- you use the precise words of the definitions in proofs and problems.

A "ring" is a set of objects together with two binary operations, + and *, such that:
1) The set with the operation + is an abelian group (so you need to know the definition of that!).
2) The associative law is true for *, a*(b*c)= (a*b)*c and the distributive law a*(b+c)= a*b+ a*c is true.
Should we also explicitly mention that it is closed under the second operation * ? i.e fo every two el. a,b from the ring R, a*b is also in the ring.

This is somehow clear since the associative law is true, but the book from which i learned these things stated it explicitly as well. So, i think it is important to state it, especially since when you want to prove that something is a subring of a ring R, then all u need to prove is that it is closed under subtraction, and multiplication.

transgalactic said:
regarding what you said about the field:
i remember you said that in order to prove a field
i need to prove that the sum and multiplication is of the same
structure.
and that the inverse is of the same structure
and that 0 exist

is that the tests i need to perform
?

I know for which post you are talking about, but this isn't exactly the same situation, since in that case we only needed to prove that Q is a subring. So, we already knew that it is a set of a ring. I really think you should go back and read these things, because if you are having trouble with the definition of things, i cannot immagine how you can even think about starting to prove stuff.

1. What is the field property of a group of numbers?

The field property is a mathematical concept that describes a set of numbers that satisfy certain criteria, such as closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverse operations.

2. How do you prove the field property of a group of numbers?

To prove the field property, you must show that the set of numbers satisfies all of the necessary criteria. This can be done using mathematical proofs and equations to demonstrate closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverse operations.

3. What are the necessary criteria for a set of numbers to have the field property?

The necessary criteria for a set of numbers to have the field property are closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverse operations. This means that the set must be closed under the operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and that these operations must be associative, commutative, and have identity and inverse elements.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of numbers that can have the field property?

No, there are no restrictions on the types of numbers that can have the field property. As long as the set of numbers satisfies the necessary criteria, it can be considered a field.

5. Why is the field property important in mathematics?

The field property is important in mathematics because it provides a framework for understanding and working with numbers. It allows for the development of algebraic structures and the use of mathematical operations to solve complex problems. Additionally, the field property is essential in many branches of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and geometry.