Masses and Pulley: Find Accelerations of A, B, C

• Thread starter bigevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the conversation is about finding the accelerations of three masses, A, B, and C, attached to each other with a rope and pulley system on a frictionless table. The solution provided involves using Newton's 2nd law and the kinematic constraint to solve for the accelerations. The original poster asks if their method, which involves assuming the masses are in an accelerating frame, is correct. The responder clarifies that the only horizontal force on the masses is the tension in the rope, and any acceleration caused by the pulley will be accounted for in the equations.
bigevil

Homework Statement

29gd9x3.jpg

Two masses, A and B, lie on a frictionless table. They are attached to either end of a light rope of length l which passes around a pulley of negligible mass. The pulley is attached to a rope connected to a hanging mass, C.

We are supposed to find the accelerations of A, B and C.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sorry that I don't have the time to write out my detailed working. I didn't get the answer required. But I notied that the solution given (page 5 from http://hep.uchicago.edu/cdf/frisch/p141/ps4_solutions.pdf) simply states

[tex]M_A a_A = T[/tex]

and so on. My other equations, like the kinematic constraint (relation between ac, aa, and ab) and the equation of motion for mass C is ok. We need 4 equations to solve. So 2 are ok.

My equations for MA and MB are different from the solution here. I have assumed that M_A is in a frame that is accelerating at a rate equal to a_C, in addition to the tension imparted on mass A. Same for B. Can I do it like I have done here, or is this totally wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bigevil said:
My equations for MA and MB are different from the solution here. I have assumed that M_A is in a frame that is accelerating at a rate equal to a_C, in addition to the tension imparted on mass A. Same for B. Can I do it like I have done here, or is this totally wrong?
It's not clear to me what you've done. The equations for Ma and Mb are just Newton's 2nd law (which applies in an inertial frame). The tension is the only horizontal force on those masses. (The fact that the pulley is accelerating will end up affecting the tension, but that will come out of solving the equations for all three masses.)

bigevil said:

I don't understand what you mean by this. Tension T alone is the net force acting on MA, therefore its acceleration is T/MA. There is no other acceleration to be added to this. MA doesn't care how tension T is generated. All it knows is that, if tension T acts on it, its acceleration will be T/MA.

1. What is the concept of masses and pulley?

The concept of masses and pulley involves using a system of connected masses and a pulley to determine the acceleration of each mass in the system. This can be used to study the effects of gravity and forces on objects.

2. How do you find the accelerations of A, B, and C in a masses and pulley system?

To find the accelerations of A, B, and C, you can use the equation a = (m2 - m1)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects and g is the acceleration due to gravity. You can also use Newton's second law, F = ma, to find the acceleration of each mass by calculating the net force acting on them.

3. What are the assumptions made when solving for accelerations in a masses and pulley system?

Some assumptions that are typically made when solving for accelerations in a masses and pulley system include: assuming the pulley is massless and frictionless, assuming the rope or string connecting the masses is also massless and does not stretch, and assuming that the acceleration is constant throughout the system.

4. Can the masses and pulley system be used to study other physical concepts besides acceleration?

Yes, the masses and pulley system can also be used to study concepts like tension, work, and energy. By varying the masses and observing the changes in the system, one can gain a better understanding of these physical concepts.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the masses and pulley system?

Yes, the masses and pulley system has many real-world applications such as in elevators, cranes, and weightlifting machines. It is also used in physics and engineering experiments to study the effects of forces and gravity on objects.