Verifying Stokes' Theorem: Am I Doing Anything Wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the curl of a vector field is taken and integrated with respect to a surface bounded by a plane using the cross product of the curl with the normal to the plane. The solution is shown with the help of a computer program and it is questioned why the value is negative. It is determined that the sign should actually be positive.
albertlee
https://nrich.maths.org/discus/messages/27/147417.jpg

For the above problem, I simply take the curl of F and then take the cross product of it with the normal to the plane and integrate the whole thing with respect to the surface bounded by the plane.

Now, my solution is as followed with the help of computer program (save some manual calculation):

https://nrich.maths.org/discus/messages/27/147418.jpg

Now, why is my value negative? am I doing something opposite? I thought I take the right normal vector. My n ds = dr/dx cross with dr/dy multiplied by dx and dy = <1, 1/2, 1> dxdy

So, the whole (double) integration is just
curl of F dotted with <1,1/2,1> dydx where y goes from 0 to 8-2x and then x from 0 to 4.

please help

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

never mind...

just figure out the -1/2 x of -1/2 x - yx should be +1/2 x.

ignore this thread then...

1. What is Stokes' Theorem and why is it important?

Stokes' Theorem is a fundamental concept in vector calculus that relates a line integral around a closed curve to a surface integral over a surface bounded by the curve. It is important because it allows us to solve complex problems involving vector fields and surfaces.

2. How do I know if I am applying Stokes' Theorem correctly?

In order to verify that you are applying Stokes' Theorem correctly, you should check that the vector field is continuous and differentiable, the surface is smooth and bounded, and the orientation of the curve and surface are consistent. Additionally, you should check that the integrals are set up correctly and that all necessary conditions are met.

3. What are common mistakes made when using Stokes' Theorem?

Some common mistakes when using Stokes' Theorem include not checking for continuity and differentiability of the vector field, not ensuring the surface is smooth and bounded, mixing up the orientation of the curve and surface, and not setting up the integrals correctly. It is also important to check for any necessary conditions, such as the divergence of the vector field being zero.

4. How can I check my work when using Stokes' Theorem?

To check your work when using Stokes' Theorem, you can verify that the resulting surface and curve integrals are equal, as well as checking that any necessary conditions are met. You can also try solving the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result.

5. Are there any special cases where Stokes' Theorem does not apply?

Yes, there are some special cases where Stokes' Theorem does not apply. These include when the vector field is not continuous and differentiable, when the surface is not smooth and bounded, and when the orientation of the curve and surface are not consistent. Additionally, Stokes' Theorem does not apply to closed surfaces or curves, as they do not have a boundary.