Who are the people who study physics and maths?

In summary, the education to study math and physics is achievable for those who struggle with physics in high school and college, but it will be difficult.
KayVee
I often wonder about what type of people study math and physics. I am currently in a Maritime school, studying to be machine chief. It's sort of difficult to explain the education. We have Maths on A level, physics on B, chemistry C and a bunch of electrical courses, which is the hardest of them all.

I am thinking about taking a second education, undergrad or masters in Physics or Maths. But, my question is; Is the education achievable for the ones who struggled with physics in high school and college, or is just for the people who laugh at college level math? What I am basically asking is, do average people stand a chance in the fields of math and physics?

I don't know If I'm average or good. I get good grades in physics and math, but I also put some (sometimes a lot) effort into it.

EDIT: I think this belongs under academic guidance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What I am basically asking is, do average people stand a chance in the fields of math and physics?
Yes, as long as you work at it.
I don't know If I'm average or good. I get good grades in physics and math, but I also put some (sometimes a lot) effort into it
And hard work is no impediment to creativity, but the means by which you hone your skills for being creative.

Some have been given a sharper knife from nature's side, they still have to sharpen it, and keep it sharp in order to be able to compete.

Sure I read somewhere that a person would do well to have three kinds of study partners. One smarter, one not as smart or knowledgeable, and one who is on the same level. From the same source I think, like arildno said, when you rub two knives together they become sharper.
From personal experience I would add that a muse or someone whom you greatly admire near you to attempt to impress makes a huge difference. Creativity and productivity will crash through the roof.

The tough truth: Pretty much everyone is overwhelmed by physics in the first years. This includes the people who were good at it in school.

Being average when you look at the whole of the population pretty much the minimum requirement for a masters in physics. I guess it can be done, but it will be tough.

On the other hand you might be above average but your high school teachers sucked...

1. What is the difference between a physicist and a mathematician?

A physicist studies the natural world and its laws, while a mathematician focuses on abstract concepts and relationships using mathematical techniques.

2. What kind of education do people who study physics and maths typically have?

Most people who study physics and maths have a strong background in mathematics, including advanced courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. They also typically have a degree in either physics, mathematics, or a related field.

3. What skills are important for someone studying physics and maths?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and principles, are important for studying physics and maths. It is also important to have a curiosity about the natural world and a desire to understand it through quantitative analysis.

4. What are the career options for people who study physics and maths?

There are many career options for people who study physics and maths, including research and development, data analysis, engineering, teaching, and finance. Graduates with degrees in these fields are highly sought after by employers due to their strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

5. How do physics and maths intersect in the study of science?

Physics and maths are closely intertwined in the study of science, as both fields use a combination of theoretical models and experimental evidence to understand the natural world. Maths provides the language and tools for describing and predicting physical phenomena, while physics provides the principles and laws that govern these phenomena.